[comp.object] Linn Rekursiv - any sightings please!

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (01/31/91)

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:

>In the absence of OO architectures though (apart from Rekursiv - Linn
>take a bow (even if it has taken three years to start seeing them out
>there in numbers)), ....

Could anyone using, or having seen the Rekursiv hardwar/software in operation
please tell us a story about it..

Peter Goodall

rodger@opera.chorus.fr (Rodger Lea) (02/02/91)

In article <objtch.665311304@extro>, objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) writes:
%% martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:
%%
%% >...
%% >In the absence of OO architectures though (apart from Rekursiv - Linn
%% >take a bow (even if it has taken three years to start seeing them out
%% >there in numbers)), ....
%%
%% Could anyone using, or having seen the Rekursiv hardwar/software in operation
%% please tell us a story about it..
%%
%% Peter Goodall

I saw it (but not in action) a while back, on a veranda in California -
it looks impressive as a piece of H/W (which isn't saying too much I know)

I was intending to work with it as part of a research project - unfortuantly
I left Lancaster for life here in Gay paris so have never used it.

I have however read the book "REKURSIV object oriented computer architecture"
			      David Harland, Ellis Horwood
			      ISBN 0-7458-0396-2

which I think is well worth reading.

As for users, I think Eliot Miranda (QMC) was intending to port SmallTalk
onto it - eliot - is/was that true.

If not, I know that Al Dearle - formaly of St Andrews and now in Adelaide
used it and has a number of interesting stories to tell. I doubt he bothers
to read this group anymore, if you're really desperate for info you can mail
me for a contact address.

sorry - that's the best I can do.

rodger@chorus.fr

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (02/06/91)

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) writes:

>martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:

>>In the absence of OO architectures though (apart from Rekursiv - Linn
>>take a bow (even if it has taken three years to start seeing them out
>>there in numbers)), ....
>
>Could anyone using, or having seen the Rekursiv hardwar/software in operation
>please tell us a story about it..

Having recieved a mildly ascerbic mail from a U.K. academic institution
after mentioning Rekursiv, I feel that I should probably try and pass on the
basic information contained therein.

It would appear that Rekursiv has gone the way of all silicon, although
contacts in one or two commercial sites say that there are still research
projects using them. The comments from academia are that despite being
designed to manipulate objects from microcode directly, instead of building
objects from data words etc., the processor was outperformed by the RISC
chips they were using in other platforms. Given that Rekursiv was so
different in its architecture, and the amount of effort taken required to
develop for it, I get the impression that it was not considered worthwhile
by those evaluating it (no more flames from cs.man.ac.uk by request).

For those interested though, David Harland's book 'Rekursiv - Object
Orientated Computer Architectures' is an interesting, informative and
expensive guide to one of the braver attempts at building hardware to
suit software over the last few years.

Have fun

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk