[comp.object] OODBs and PLs

ajs@prg.ox.ac.uk (Adolfo Socorro) (02/04/91)

In article <SCHULTZ.91Feb2120216@halley.est.3m.com> John Schultz writes:

    While embedding OODB calls in an
    existing language would be ``seamless'' ...

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. If one is forced to be bilingual, and to
back and forth map data structures between computational systems, then the
integration can't be seamless. The field of database programming languages
tries to address this question; that is, to develop the technology that avoids
the so-called impedance mismatch that results when two languages are merged in
an ad-hoc fashion, with particular attention to database issues.

--Adolfo

ballou@databs.enet.dec.com (02/06/91)

In article <1194@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, ajs@prg.ox.ac.uk (Adolfo Socorro)
writes:
|> In article <SCHULTZ.91Feb2120216@halley.est.3m.com> John Schultz writes:
|>
|>     While embedding OODB calls in an
|>     existing language would be ``seamless'' ...
|>
|> I have to wholeheartedly disagree. If one is forced to be bilingual, and to
|> back and forth map data structures between computational systems, then the
|> integration can't be seamless. The field of database programming languages
|> tries to address this question; that is, to develop the technology that
avoids
|> the so-called impedance mismatch that results when two languages are merged
in
|> an ad-hoc fashion, with particular attention to database issues.

...and less attention to programming language features.  I think you missed the
real question.

Rephrased:  Do computationally different models strictly require different
                    languages?

Nat

P.S. - most use 'impedance mismatch' as a complaint with the current rash
          of database programming languages (i.e., SQL, QUEL, etc.).

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.091642@databs.enet.dec.com> ballou@databs.enet.dec.com () writes:
>In article <1194@culhua.prg.ox.ac.uk>, ajs@prg.ox.ac.uk (Adolfo Socorro)
>writes:
>|> In article <SCHULTZ.91Feb2120216@halley.est.3m.com> John Schultz writes:
>|>
>|>     While embedding OODB calls in an
>|>     existing language would be ``seamless'' ...
>|>
>|> I have to wholeheartedly disagree. If one is forced to be bilingual, and to
>|> back and forth map data structures between computational systems, then the
>|> integration can't be seamless. The field of database programming languages
>|> tries to address this question; that is, to develop the technology that
>avoids
>|> the so-called impedance mismatch that results when two languages are merged
>in
>|> an ad-hoc fashion, with particular attention to database issues.
>
>...and less attention to programming language features.  I think you missed the
>real question.
>
>Rephrased:  Do computationally different models strictly require different
>                    languages?
>
>Nat
>
>P.S. - most use 'impedance mismatch' as a complaint with the current rash
>          of database programming languages (i.e., SQL, QUEL, etc.).

Now here is a very understandable little confusion.
Those languages you mention are database _query_ languages (remember
where the 'Q' in the acronyms comes from), although they can be used
for updates and other things that are not "queries" in the older
and stricter sense.  Sales pitches usually speak of
"fourth-generation languages" (4GL).

The people who advocate database _programming_ languages dislike
the incomplete computational power (and often quite "ad hoc" features)
of these query languages, which therefore must usually be combined
(embedded) in a more or less awkward way with some conventional
programming language when nontrivial applications are built.

Absolutely recommended reading: "Types and Persistence in Database
Programming Languages" by M.P. Atkinson and O.P. Buneman,
ACM Computing Surveys, June 1987 (actually appeared in Spring 1988).

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)