[comp.object] Information

P.K.Chawdhry@newcastle.ac.uk (Dr Pravir K Chawdhry (EDC Data Exch)) (02/27/91)

Those who have worked on information modelling might be able to help me.

We are working on a project on information modelling. The domains of
information
of our interest is the design process and engineering product models. We are
looking into using EXPRESS which is becoming a standard ISO/STEP data modelling

language for describing complex engineering product models as well as the
engineering systems using these models. Writing EXPRESS models (in record-field
like syntax) requires a fairly clear picture in mind of what data objects one
is trying to model. Now that's where a graphical data modelling language such
as NIAM and IDEF1X may come in handy. We are interested to find out which
tools are available that allow creating NIAM or IDEF1X based information
models. (There may be those which use a language other than NIAM and IDEF1X).
If you know the source of availability, commercial/educational/prototype
status, price, contact address, tel no and e_mail_address, and capability of
such tools, it would be great.

What we wish to do is to write a compiler to translate NIAM into EXPRESS.
Although I have a graphical description of the constructs (which may or may
not be complete), I want to obtain the BNF/EBNF specifications of NIAM so
that I can generate a NIAM parser. Does anybody have already written/got
the BNF specs for NIAM?

Someone tells me that McDonald Douglas even wrote a NIAM->EXPRESS compiler:
does anyone have contact leads to them?

Any information on other info modelling tools will be equally appreciated.
Please reply to me by direct e-Mail and I will summarize the response.

Cheers.
 - Pravir Chawdhry
   e-mail:
     JANET: P.K.Chawdhry@uk.ac.ncl
     Internet:P.K.Chawdhry%newcastle.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
     UUCP : ...!ukc!ncl.ac.uk!P.K.Chawdhry
   post:   Engineering Design Centre
           Armstrong Building
           The University
           Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU (U.K.)
   tel. + 44 (091) 222 6000 Ext. 8557
   fax  + 44 (091) 261 1182
[...]

UUCP : ...!ukc!ncl.ac.uk!P.K.Chawdhry | JANET: P.K.Chawdhry@uk.ac.newcastle
post:Engineering Design Centre.The University.Newcastle upon Tyne.NE1 7RU (U.K.)
tel. + 44 (091) 222 6000 Ext. 8557  |   fax  + 44 (091) 261 1182

tad@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Tad Alan Davis) (03/02/91)

From article <1991Feb27.150803.19241@newcastle.ac.uk>, by P.K.Chawdhry@newcastle.ac.uk (Dr Pravir K Chawdhry (EDC Data Exch)):

> What we wish to do is to write a compiler to translate NIAM into EXPRESS.
> Although I have a graphical description of the constructs (which may or may
> not be complete), I want to obtain the BNF/EBNF specifications of NIAM so
> that I can generate a NIAM parser. Does anybody have already written/got
> the BNF specs for NIAM?

The IPO (IGES/PDES Organization) has a group (Dictionary/Methodology)
which is creating a meta-meta-model, the SUMM (STEP Unification Meta
Model) which is meant to be a model into and out of which EXPRESS,
NIAM, IDEF, and ER can go.  For more information, contact Joan Tyler
at NIST or Peter Eirich at Westinghouse Elect. Systems Group
(Baltimore).

> Someone tells me that McDonald Douglas even wrote a NIAM->EXPRESS compiler:
> does anyone have contact leads to them?

I would be very surprised if this is true as I have never heard it
mentioned at any of the ISO/IPO meetings.  However, they have written
an EXPRESS compiler which is in use by various organization (mine
included), which would be very helpful if you ever plan to go back,
i.e. EXPRESS -> NIAM.

--
					Tad Davis
					Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems