[comp.object] Yacc/Lex and C++

yms@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Yuh-Ming Shyy) (03/06/91)

Hi, is there anyone who knows whether the output of
Yacc and Lex program (C) can be compatiable with C++
programs? Or, is there any C++ version of Yacc/Lex
where the user-defined functions can be C++ programs?
Thanks a lot.

yms@beach.cis.ufl.edu

tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) (03/06/91)

You could just experiment with yacc and find out if it works. I was doing
just that the other day, and it seems to work fine, all I needed was a few
function prototypes, which I was able to add in the initial definitions
section. Something like:

%{
extern int yyparse();
%}

I used g++ and my test parser built and ran fine after that.

I seem to recall hearing vague reports of something called yacc++, but I
don't know exactly what features it might provide especially oriented
towards C++.
domain: tahorsley@csd.harris.com       USMail: Tom Horsley
  uucp: ...!uunet!hcx1!tahorsley               511 Kingbird Circle
                                               Delray Beach, FL  33444
+==== Censorship is the only form of Obscenity ======================+
|     (Wait, I forgot government tobacco subsidies...)               |
+====================================================================+

sam@castle.ed.ac.uk (S Manoharan) (03/08/91)

In article <TOM.91Mar6065652@rcx1.ssd.csd.harris.com> tom@ssd.csd.harris.com (Tom Horsley) writes:
>You could just experiment with yacc and find out if it works. I was doing
>just that the other day, and it seems to work fine, all I needed was a few
>function prototypes, which I was able to add in the initial definitions
>section.

A related note:

There is a tool called `mkproto' which could automatically
generate function prototypes for classic C. This was posted
on comp.sources.misc (or was it comp.lang.c?) sometime back.

--
S Manoharan                Internet : sam%ed.lfcs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of Computer Science   Uucp     : ..!mcsun!ukc!edcastle!sam