[comp.object] Borland's ObjectVision

MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) (01/28/91)

I see an add in the latest InfoWorld (Jan. 21, 1991) announcing the
introduction date of Borland's ObjectVision, Feb. 12, 1991.

Any beta testers, or anyone else, have any info about ObjectVision?

Should I cancel my Digitalk - Smalltalk for Windows, that I'm now
waiting for?  :->

I'm just curious about it.

Thanx.

                                - MJB -

                        USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

epfaulk@biivax.dp.beckman.com (01/29/91)

In article <38566@cup.portal.com>, MJB@cup.portal.com (Martin J Brown-Jr) writes:
> I see an add in the latest InfoWorld (Jan. 21, 1991) announcing the
> introduction date of Borland's ObjectVision, Feb. 12, 1991.
>
> Any beta testers, or anyone else, have any info about ObjectVision?
>
> Should I cancel my Digitalk - Smalltalk for Windows, that I'm now
> waiting for?  :->
>
> I'm just curious about it.
>
> Thanx.
>
>                                 - MJB -
>
>                         USENET: mjb@cup.portal.com

I think you might want to leave your order untouched. While TurboVision is a
nice idea, it leaves something to be desired -- like Windows support. This is
a character oriented windows-like environment. It is not a windows package nor
does it support MS Windows.
*   Ed Faulk                                        | "If ignorance is bliss, *
*   SnailMail: Beckman Instruments, Inc.            | 'tis folly to be wise." *
*              3300 Birch St.                       | Phone: (714) 961-3383   *
*              Brea, CA  92621                      | FAX:   (714) 961-3351   *
*   Internet:  epfaulk@shelties.dp.beckman.com      | CIS:   75500,2726       *
*   All opinions are believed to be valid until changed.                      *

blake@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Blake Freeburg) (01/31/91)

Just a small note:
 a. TurboVision is not ObjectVision.  TurboVision is the windowing library
that comes with Turbo Pascal 6.0 and is pretty nice for text based windows.
(They basically gave you what they design their interfaces with)

 b. ObjectVision, from what I could find out, is a visual programming language
that uses decaritive logic to create applications under windows 3.0.  That is
an almost quote from the lady at Borland when I called their 1-800 number that
was in last weeks infoworld.  You can call borland now, and they will read you
this little paragraph, and put you on the mailing list for information.  That
info will be published on Feb 12.  Sorry, I don't have the number here with
me now, but try calling any of their numbers.

 I am anxiously awaiting what in the world it could really be, as I also have
a pretty good idea that Turbo C++ for windows will be out sometime 2nd quarter.
(just a educated guess :] )

Blake Freeburg

dogar@motcid.UUCP (Haroon H. Dogar) (02/05/91)

blake@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Blake Freeburg) writes:

>Just a small note:
> a. TurboVision is not ObjectVision.  TurboVision is the windowing library
>that comes with Turbo Pascal 6.0 and is pretty nice for text based windows.
>(They basically gave you what they design their interfaces with)

> b. ObjectVision, from what I could find out, is a visual programming language
>that uses decaritive logic to create applications under windows 3.0.  That is
>an almost quote from the lady at Borland when I called their 1-800 number that
>was in last weeks infoworld.  You can call borland now, and they will read you
>this little paragraph, and put you on the mailing list for information.  That
>info will be published on Feb 12.  Sorry, I don't have the number here with
>me now, but try calling any of their numbers.

> I am anxiously awaiting what in the world it could really be, as I also have
>a pretty good idea that Turbo C++ for windows will be out sometime 2nd quarter.
>(just a educated guess :] )

>Blake Freeburg

While at a computer bookstore this past weekend, I came across a book entitled
ObjectVision which described a product that seems like the one described
by Blake above. There were, however, some differences. It is from a company
called ObjectVision (not Borland), and it is designed to be used by numerous
C++ compilers (Borland, Zortech, ...).

Anyone from ObjectVision that reads this group care to clear things up?

-hd

sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr w.j. ho) (03/08/91)

Has anyone seen ObjectVision in action or used it? How good is it ?
Does this mean that most simple programs for Windows 3.0 can be developed
without the traditional C or C++ programming ? Or is it only good for "simple"
programs ( "toy" programs ) and not really powerful enough for serious work?

Any users or ObjectVision, PLEASE comment!

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Wey Jing Ho   Tel: 61-3-5732567   E-mail : sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au  ^

jim@shograf.COM (jim morris) (03/11/91)

From article <1991Mar7.233150.7422@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au>, by sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  w.j. ho):
> Has anyone seen ObjectVision in action or used it? How good is it ?
What is it???

Just got a copy of it... It is a neat concept, but it is NOT what I expected
it to be!

I thought I was getting a Toolbook-like Actor-like tool for creating
windows apps..  No Way...

Actually what I got (or what it appears to be) is a way of building
forms that can be filled in on the screen. It is a little like a spreadsheet.
So you define fields, then link them, and perform calculations to automatically
fill in other fields. It can be set up to guide people through the form-filling
process. One good example they have is a W-4 form. It looks like the W4 form.
When you fill it in it prompts for the relevant info, then fills in the rest
based on the filled in fields.

It is actually quite easy to set up these forms...But it is not designed
to write general applications that do not fall into this form filling
category. (At least thats MY impression to date). It also gives you access to
Database files, that are ASCII, Paradox, dBase, Btrieve or DDE with other
windows programs.

In conclusion I'd say it is an on screen form filling/generation program with
spreadsheat-like formulas to calculate the reulsts from filled-in fields.

You could generate forms that a lay-person could fill in, by forcing them &
prompting them for the relevant input etc.

I am not complaining about Borland mis-representing this product, as it
was an impulse buy on my part... I could have waited for a review or something.
But I do think they could come up with a better explanation of what it is!!
I would not classify it as a "General purpose Business application generator".

Unless your business is filling in order forms, W-4, sales forms,
credit application forms etc (These are the sample programs that come with it!)

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any other first hand
comments!!

Jim

--
Jim Morris,	E-Mail: jim@shograf.com    Voice: (415) 903-3887