[comp.object] Personal attacks regarding ada-c++ productivity

egdorf@zaphod.lanl.gov (Skip Egdorf) (03/20/91)

In article <jls.669368669@rutabaga> jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:

>   P.S. Ted believes the earth is 600 years old.

I believe that the Earth is 600 years old. I also believe that the earth is
1,000,000 years old. In fact, I believe that the Earth is about 4 billion
years old.

1. Am I to assume that you think the Earth is LESS than 600 years old??

2. What is an attack like this doing in a technical newsgroup anyway???

					Skip Egdorf
					hwe@lanl.gov

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (03/21/91)

>>   P.S. Ted believes the earth is 600 years old.

>I believe that the Earth is 600 years old. I also believe that the earth is
>1,000,000 years old. In fact, I believe that the Earth is about 4 billion
>years old.

>1. Am I to assume that you think the Earth is LESS than 600 years old??

No, and you know what I meant. Ted believes the earth is ONLY 600 years
old. He also believes radiocarbon dating is a plot by God to fool unbelievers,
that giant men lived contemporaneously with dinosaurs, etc.

>2. What is an attack like this doing in a technical newsgroup anyway???

By believing the earth it only 600 years old, etc etc, Ted demonstrates
a phenomenal inability to form opinions based on technical accuracy,
facts, or most of the current body of science. This inability to be
even reasonably objective about data carries over into many areas,
including his grasp of software engineering, the merits of C vs Ada,
etc etc etc. That's the point: that any
opinion voiced by Ted on just about anything technical needs to be
taken with a massive grain of salt.

Think of it as a self-inflicted anti-character witness.
--
***** DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed herein are my own. Duh. Like you'd
ever be able to find a company (or, for that matter, very many people) with

kers@hplb.hpl.hp.com (Chris Dollin) (03/25/91)

WARNING: sueful content of this message may be zero.

Jim Showalter says:

   I think multiple inheritance is a solution in search of a problem.

Jim, like Jesus, presumably had but the one biological parent.
--

Regards, Kers 24059 | "You're better off  not dreaming of  the things to come;
Caravan:            | Dreams  are always ending  far too soon."

jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) (03/27/91)

>Jim Showalter says:

>   I think multiple inheritance is a solution in search of a problem.

>Jim, like Jesus, presumably had but the one biological parent.

Believe it or not, I got a big laugh out of this! I agree that in
biology multiple inheritance seems to be the law of the land. But
in software the picture has been less clear--let me rephrase my
original post: "Many people I've talked to, as well as myself, view
multiple inheritance as a solution in search of a problem". While
it is the case that only mere brilliance is required to properly
construct a single inheritance tree, it seems to require absolute
genius to properly design a multiple inheritance tree. MI reminds
me of those features you see on really expensive VCRs that look
sexy on the data sheet but confuse the shit out of the average
user when he/she tries to read the instructions after getting the
unit home.
--

rick@cua.cary.ibm.com (Rick DeNatale) (03/28/91)

In article <jls.670045097@rutabaga> jls@rutabaga.Rational.COM (Jim Showalter) writes:
>>Jim Showalter says:
>
>>   I think multiple inheritance is a solution in search of a problem.
>
>>Jim, like Jesus, presumably had but the one biological parent.
>
>Believe it or not, I got a big laugh out of this! I agree that in
>biology multiple inheritance seems to be the law of the land. But
>in software the picture has been less clear-

I too get a big laugh out of comparing biological inheritance to OO inheritance
as it is found in most (all?) OOPLs.  If we inherited the way C++ objects 	(frinstance) do, we would all look like the concatenation of our mother and
father, rather than a combination of a subset of their (hopefully) best traits,
along with some of our own.

Considering how many generations the human race has gone through, if bio MI
worked like this imagine how tall (or wide) we'd be today!

Rick DeNatale
*Of course my opinion is my own, who else would want it?