[comp.object] References/Papers

mwirth@gara.une.oz.au (MR M WIRTH) (03/18/91)

I am currently researching my thesis which is on Object-Orientated
Programming and software reusabilty and I was wondering whether anyone
had any good references or Papers on software-reusability or OOP in general.
Also does anyone know of any FTP sites containing OOP material, preferably
in Turbo Pascal.

			Thanks in advance
				mwirth@gara.une.oz.au

andyk@kermit.UUCP (Andy Klapper) (03/22/91)

In article <5675@gara.une.oz.au> mwirth@gara.une.oz.au (MR M WIRTH) writes:
>I am currently researching my thesis which is on Object-Orientated
>Programming and software reusabilty and I was wondering whether anyone
>had any good references or Papers on software-reusability or OOP in general.
>Also does anyone know of any FTP sites containing OOP material, preferably
>in Turbo Pascal.
>
>			Thanks in advance
>				mwirth@gara.une.oz.au

Here are just a few references (You really ought to do a title search,
warning be prepared to be swamped !)

Books,

Cox, Brad J., and Novobilski, Andrew J., "Object-Oriented Programming, An
	Evolutionary Approach", second Edition.  Addison-Wesley.

Biggerstaff, Ted J., and Perlis, Alan J., "Software Reusability", Volumes 1 & 2
	ACM Press. (a collection of papers (vol. 1 Concepts and Models,
	vol. 2 Applications and Experiences")  These books do not concentrate
	as much on OO techniques, but if you would like to see other approaches
	to reuse, this may be a good source.

Cox, Brad J., "Planning the Software Industrial Revolution", IEEE Software
	Magazine, Nov. 1990.

Jacobson, Ivar, "Object Oriented Development in an Industrial Environment",
	OOPSLA '87 Proceedings.

Jacobson, Ivar, "Industrial Development of Software with Object-Oriented
	Technique", JOOP March/April 1991.

Barnes, Bruce H., and Bollinger, Terry B., "Making Reuse Cost-Effective",
	IEEE Software, January 1991.

Here is where things get a little fuzzy ..

There was an paper in the 1990 OOPSLA procedings on ET++ that may also be
	of some use.

I hope that this is a good start.

--
The Stepstone Corporation                    Andy Klapper
75 Glen Rd.                                  andyk@stepstone.com

jimad@microsoft.UUCP (Jim ADCOCK) (03/29/91)

In article <6705@kermit.UUCP> andyk@kermit.UUCP (Andy Klapper) writes:
|In article <5675@gara.une.oz.au> mwirth@gara.une.oz.au (MR M WIRTH) writes:
|>I am currently researching my thesis which is on Object-Orientated
|>Programming and software reusabilty and I was wondering whether anyone
|>had any good references or Papers on software-reusability or OOP in general.
|>Also does anyone know of any FTP sites containing OOP material, preferably
|>in Turbo Pascal.
|>
|>			Thanks in advance
|>				mwirth@gara.une.oz.au
|

|Here are just a few references (You really ought to do a title search,
|warning be prepared to be swamped !)

The "Computer Select" database [previously known as "Computer Library"]
lists about 2000 magazine articles referencing "object oriented" of
which about 150 also specifically refer to "reuse" or "reusability"

Fortunately, this database is CD-ROM based, so you don't have to blow
your budget to list all these references [just make sure you have the
disc space :-]