[comp.object] "An Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming"

orders@techbook.com (TECHbooks Official Login) (04/03/91)

In article <6282@bwdls58.bnr.ca> mdamena@bnr.ca writes:
>In article <VERBER.91Mar12222132@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:
>|> I got an early copy of Tim's "An Introduction to OO Programming."  I
>|> would strongly recommend the book.  It is one of the best intros to OO
>|> I have seen.  My only complaint is that he doesn't use CLOS for any of
>|> the examples... but he does use Smalltalk-80, Objective C, C++, and
>|> (ugh) Object Pascal.
>
>I might have missed earlier discussions about Tim's book, if any..
>I am looking for a 'good' OO Programming book.. How do I get a
>copy?? (* wait until it is out in the market?? *)

It's out in the market.  I was going to post something in alt.books.technical
about it anyway.  So, without further ado:

Oh, God, not another book on OOP or OOPS or whatever the acronym you use is.
That's what you're saying, right?  Well, hold on.  This book, written by
Timothy Budd, the author of "A Little Smalltalk" is a comprehensive intro
to the fundamental concepts of object-oriented programming.  Stuff like
objects, class methods, inheritance, binding, and encapsulation.  This is
a brand new book, so it's a little soon to tell how well it stacks up against
the current favorites (Bertrand Meyer's "Object-oriented Software Construction"
or at least the first chapters before he jumps into Eiffel; and Grady Booch's
"Object-oriented Design: With Applications).  But feedback from people so far
has been very favorable, and getting feedback so quickly (we've had the book
for four days now) indicates a very clear, readable book.

Assuming familiarity with at least C or Pascal, the book presents sample code
fragments in Smalltalk, C++, Objective-C, and Object Pascal.  I particularly
like the "case studies" given in the book, which provide good comparisons of
the features of the different languages.

The one thing that seems to have been most commented on is the chapter on
inheritance where he comments not only on the benefits, but also the costs.
This does seem to be a good book to add to your shelf.

Published by Addison-Wesley in 1991, this book lists for $36.75 (our price
$31.25 through April) and has an ISBN of 0-201-54709-0.

Note: with ISBN number (which also tells publisher), you may be able to have
your local bookstore or library order this book for you.
--
Voice: +1 503 646-8257  FAX: +1 503 248-6320  orders@techbook.com  - or -
Public Access UNIX site: +1 503 644-8135   ...!uunet!techbook!orders