[comp.object] Formal definitions

schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (04/03/91)

In article <27F78021.1829@tct.com> chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
   There are validation suites for ANSI C.  Of course, no validation
   suite -- not even the gummint's -- can guarantee that a compiler is
   bug-free.

How do you know that the validation suit tests for the language that
ANSI specified?  Some languages, like Turing, were formally specified
from the time of inception; you can run a program and mechanically
decide if it did what the language definition said it should do.

chip@tct.com (Chip Salzenberg) (04/05/91)

According to schwartz@groucho.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz):
>How do you know that the validation suit tests for the language that
>ANSI specified?

I don't.  I suppose that should worry me.  *yawn*

>Some languages, like Turing, were formally specified from the time
>of inception; you can run a program and mechanically decide if it
>did what the language definition said it should do.

How do you know that the program that makes that decision doesn't have
a bug in it?

At some point, you have to stop assuring and start doing.
--
Brand X Industries Custodial, Refurbishing and Containment Service:
         When You Never, Ever Want To See It Again [tm]