[fa.info-vax] Fast communications

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/17/84)

From: mark thompson <THOMPSON@USC-ECLC.ARPA>

Has anybody hooked a T1 line up to their vax?

Has anybody got a way to join two ethernets that are seperated by
about a mile?

-mark		<thompson@usc-eclc.arpa>
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/18/84)

From: God <root%bostonu.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

	From unix-wizards-request@BRL-TGR.CSNET Wed Oct 17 02:47:01 1984
	Date: Tue 16 Oct 84 16:18:50-PDT
	From: mark thompson <THOMPSON@USC-ECLC.CSNET>
	Subject: Fast communications
	To: unix-wizards@BRL-VGR.CSNET, info-vax@SRI-KL.CSNET
	Phone: (213) 743-4800
	Via:  csnet-relay; 17 Oct 84 2:23-EDT

	Has anybody hooked a T1 line up to their vax?

	Has anybody got a way to join two ethernets that are seperated by
	about a mile?

	-mark		<thompson@usc-eclc.arpa>
	-------

Boston University is currently running 4.2bsd TCP/IP over
our Ungermann/Bass Broadband (also to VMS/EUNICE/TCP-IP.)
We are getting ethernet-like speeds (FTP of TERMCAP @>200Kb/s eg.)
We are using a locally developed driver based on the 4.2 un driver
which was designed for the old 3Mb baseband.

The initial installation of a broadband system ain't cheap
and is really an organization-wide decision. However,
once done + our software we are able to do high speed service
between any two points on campus (miles.) In addition, we
are installing things like microwave bridges to tie together
our broadband with one at our medical campus (T1'ish) across
town.

Maybe U/B has a 'starter' system?

		-Barry Shein

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/18/84)

From: Jonathan Goodman <Goodman@YALE.ARPA>

    Has anybody got a way to join two ethernets that are seperated by
    about a mile?

    -mark               <thompson@usc-eclc.arpa>
    -------

We accomplished this using a GE Gemlink which is buffered on both ends
by 11/34's running a hacked up version of the old Minits.  If one can
tolerate the occasional flakiness of rf communications, it's a reasonable
solution. If you need 100% reliability it's not the way to go. Cornell
has had experience with this product too. --Jon
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/18/84)

From: Richard Garland <OC.GARLAND%CU20B@COLUMBIA.ARPA>

-- Joining 2 ethernets separated by a mile:

If you can squeez the distance to a kilometer (1000M) then you can get
an ethernet repeater with an optical fiber link between 2 halves of
the repeater.  DEC sells such a product and has shown it at the last several
DECUS symposia.  Perhaps you can bend the specs a little and run
it over a longer fiber.  The name of this box is the DEREP-RA.  It consists
of 2 half repeaters.  You also buy the fiber and 2 tranceivers to hang off
of each ethernet.  There may be similar products from others - I think
Ungermann-Bass has something similar.  This scheme has the advantage of a
single E-net.  I'm not sure how the cost compares to other schemes
such as T1 lines hooked to PDP-11's etc.   It may also have a speed
advantage.
					Rg
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/18/84)

From: Marty Sasaki <sasaki%harvard.arpa@csnet-relay.arpa>

Is the stuff you are doing point-to-point but using the cable as the wiring?

Harvard has a broadband and we are using Sytek to do terminal/host
communication and are looking at high speed stuff. We have thought about
buying some modems and doing point-to-point, but that will severely
limit the number of nodes.

				Marty Sasaki
				Harvard University Science Center
				sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/19/84)

From: decvax!genrad!bolton!garry@BERKELEY (Garry Baer)

	MICROWAVE

	Not cheap but it will get the job done!!!

					Garry Baer
vax!decwrl!ucbvax!info-vax@Berkeley
Subject: Re: Fast communications

From: medin@ucbarpa.BERKELEY (Milo Medin)

also, vitalink in mountain view makes such a beat and its available right
now.

				Milo

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/19/84)

From: Lee Moore  <lee@rochester.arpa>

If you are using an inter-networking protocol, such as TCP/IP or XNS,
you could put a gateway on each ethernet and use a long-haul network
to talk between them.  From my ethernet in Rochester, NY I can talk over
the Arpanet to ethernets at Stanford, Berkeley, CMU, etc.  We also use
4.2BSD Unix to talk over a point-to-point link to machine(s) at another
campus.  Currently this link is rs-232 but 4.2 has drivers for things
like DMR-11s which approach T1.

=lee

Internet:	lee@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo}!rochester!lee
Phone:		[USA] (716) 275-7747, -5671
Physical:	43 01' 40'' N, 77 37' 49'' W

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/19/84)

From: medin@ucbarpa.BERKELEY (Milo Medin)

The advantage of the vitalink system is that it forwards ethernet packets,
regardlless of the protocol they are being used in.  You can run IP and
DDCMP over the same bridge if you want.  They did it the right way.

				Milo

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/21/84)

From: Murray.pa@XEROX.ARPA

"They did it the right way."

Oh, yea? Consider what happens if you connect 3 Ethernets with 3 bridges
so you have a backup path if any one goes down.

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (10/21/84)

From: medin@ucbarpa.BERKELEY (Milo Medin)

Granted you cant have a loop in the path, but that cluster is logically
one ethernet. By using a host with 2 interfaces as a gateway, you can get
around that.  The key point here is that it doesnt force you into any
protocol which a gateway does.

					Milo

%SRI-KL.ARPA:medin%ucbarpa%Berkeley@randvax.UUCP (10/28/84)