[comp.object] OO Design Methodologies

philbo@dhw68k.cts.com (Phil Lindsay) (03/13/91)

I hope people don't mind the cross post.  At my current place of
employment we are looking at several formal OO design methodologies.
Currently we are looking at GE's and Peter Coad's work. Could
people please email me their opinions or "more appropriate
methodologies."  Many thanks in advance. Phil Lindsay (TRW-IS)
--
Phil Lindsay - "Patents threaten future technology"
Internet: philbo@dhw68k.cts.com  Phone: Wrk7143852311 Hm7142891201

haim@taichi.uucp (24122-Haim Kilov(L028)m000) (03/16/91)

Concepts are much more important than methodologies. Only after a concept
is precisely (i.e., formally) defined, is it possible to discuss the
methodology (guidelines?) of its use. For generic (application-neutral)
information modeling, we are using a set of OO "ER-based" concepts, each
of which is clearly defined on the basis of primitive operations jointly
owned by an entity and associated entities. There exists a Bellcore
Special Report "Information Modeling Concepts and Guidelines" about these
activities obtainable by means of calling 1-800-521-CORE. The number of this
Special Report is SR-OPT-001826.

Hope this helps.

-Haim Kilov
haim@bcr.cc.bellcore.com

song@berault.ics.uci.edu (Xiping Song) (03/20/91)

In article <1991Mar15.182940.3421@porthos.cc.bellcore.com> haim@taichi.UUCP (24122-Haim Kilov) writes:

>Concepts are much more important than methodologies. Only after a concept
>is precisely (i.e., formally) defined, is it possible to discuss the
>methodology (guidelines?) of its use. For generic (application-neutral)

I quite agree this point. I have been using formal/modeling techniques
formalize design methodologies. As a result, a design methodology usually
can be characterized into four types. Concept is one of them. All the
other types--artifacts, representation mechanism and activities
are constructured around concepts to help a methodology more applicable
and effective.

-Song

perez@csc.ti.com (Edward Perez) (04/05/91)

-Haim Kilov writes:

>>There exists a Bellcore Special Report "Information Modeling Concepts and
>>Guidelines" ... obtainable by means of calling 1-800-521-CORE. The number of
>>this Special Report is SR-OPT-001826.

the special report haim referenced costs $40 (plus $2.50 more, maybe s/h?).
the rep who took my order said they use UPS to deliver, so you will need to
give a street address and NOT a po box.

after i get my copy and read it, i'll post a summary.

edward roland perez          internet: perez@csc.ti.com             #
computer science center         csnet: perez%ti-csl@relay.cs.net    #
texas instruments, dallas       phone: 214-995-0698(w)              #