[comp.object] On classification

bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) (04/15/91)

Here are some extracts from an article entitled ``Dinosaur Dilemmas''
by John Maynard Smith, Professor of Biology at the University of
Sussex, appearing in the latest issue of the New York Review of Books,
dated April 25, 1991. The article is a review of two recent books on
dinosaurs.

--------------------------- Begin quote ------------------------------

The interpretation of [dinosaur] fossils is primarily aimed at
recognizing anatomical similarities and differences, and arranging the
specimens into a natural classification. [...] Today, a ``natural
classification'' is usually taken to mean one that reflects
evolutionary history. If species are grouped together in a ``taxon''
(that is, a genus, family, order, or what have you), the implication
is that the taxon includes all species, and only those species,
descended from a common ancestor. [...]

It is clear from reading ``The Dinosauria'' [a book published by the
U. of California Press] that an important change for the better has taken
place since I was a student, although the new dispensation too will become
an abuse if we do not watch it. The name of the change is ``cladistics.''
This is one of two very different approaches that have been made in
recent years to devise a rationale for classification. The first was
numerical taxonomy. Robert Sokal and Peter Sneath, the founders of
numerical taxonomy, took the simple way out. If there is no good
reason for preferring one trait to another, let us, like good
democrats, treat all traits equally. When classifying a set of
animals, write down everything about them, in as mindless a way as
possible. Then write a computer program that will group together those
species that are alike in most respects. It was a method only possible
with the advent of computers. It had the great merit that there was no
damned judgment about it. In practice, however, numerical taxonomy has
been largely replaced by cladistics, essentially, I believe, because
Sokal and Sneath insisted that classification should be independent of
evolutionary considerations.

Cladistics was invented by an East German taxonomist, Willi Hennig.
[...] There are two components to the method, one substantive and one
semantic. The substantive component concerns which traits are
important when classifying, if one wishes one's classification to
reflect evolution. The rule is that one should use ``shared derived
characters'': there are some impressive Greek words for these that I
won't bother with. For example, zebras and horses have a single toe,
whereas opossums and humans have five toes. To have five toes is not
evidence of close relationship, because it is the primitive condition
in land vertebrates; but having a single toe is good evidence of
relationship, because it is a recently evolved state.

The hard question, of course, is how to decide which is the primitive
and which the derived state. If we had a perfect fossil record, there
would be no problem: but if we had a perfect record, classification
would be trivially easy anyway. [...]

[The] other, semantic component of cladistics [...] asserts that any
named taxon - for example, Eutheria (placental mammals), Dinosauria,
Lacertilia (lizards) - must be monophyletic; that is, it must include
all, and only, the descendants of a single common ancestor. Notice
that, according to this requirement, Pisces (fish) is not a valid
taxon, because it does not include the land vertebrates, which are
descended from fish.

Consistent with this view, the editors include the birds among the
dinosaurs, as they must on cladistic grouds, because the birds are
thought to be descended from a particular group of small carnivorous
dinosaurs.
--------------------------- End quote --------------------------------
--
-- Bertrand Meyer
Interactive Software Engineering Inc., Santa Barbara

chl@cs.man.ac.uk (Charles Lindsey) (04/15/91)

In <527@eiffel.UUCP> bertrand@eiffel.UUCP (Bertrand Meyer) writes:

>Here are some extracts from an article entitled ``Dinosaur Dilemmas''

>Consistent with this view, the editors include the birds among the
>dinosaurs, as they must on cladistic grouds, because the birds are
>thought to be descended from a particular group of small carnivorous
>dinosaurs.

Ergo, mammals are dinosaurs also, and hence so are we.