[comp.object] Implementation of OOPLs

wsinerp@wsintt02.info.win.tue.nl (Eric Peeters) (04/12/91)

Dear OO-experts,

I'm looking for information on the implementation of object-oriented
languages. I think that in most books this information is lacking, e.g.
the principle of inheritance is always explained in great detail but
its implementation is usually omitted.

I'm mainly interested in the advantages and disadvantages of compiling vs.
interpreting (concurrent) OOPLs with respect to the following topics:
- speed
- usage of memory
- time needed to develop the compiler/interpreter
- implementation of (pseudo-)concurrency on a single processor
However, I'm also interested in other aspects of implementing OOPLs.

This question may sound rather vague, but I hope that someone who
has experience with implementing OOPLs, will send  me some references.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

   Eric

       ___________   /  Eric Peeters                        /  ___________
      /___  __   /  /  Eindhoven University of Technology  /  /___  __   /
         / /  / /  /  Dept. of Math. and Comp. Science    /      / /  / /
     ___/ /__/ /  /  P.O. Box 513                        /   ___/ /__/ /
    /__  _____/  /  5600 MB Eindhoven                   /   /__  _____/
      / /       /  The Netherlands                     /      / /
 ____/ /       /                                      /  ____/ /
/_____/       /  E-mail: wsinerp@win.tue.nl          /  /_____/
             /                                      /

hbkampen@cs.ruu.nl (Henk van Kampen) (04/15/91)

In <1893@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> wsinerp@wsintt02.info.win.tue.nl (Eric Peeters) writes:

>Dear OO-experts,
>
>I'm looking for information on the implementation of object-oriented
>languages. I think that in most books this information is lacking, e.g.
>the principle of inheritance is always explained in great detail but
>its implementation is usually omitted.

(some text omitted)

>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>   Eric

There is a chapter (Ch. 19) on this subject in Timothy Budd's new book
An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming, which includes further
references. The book appeared at Addison Wesley, ISBN 0-201-54709-0.

	Henk van Kampen