[comp.object] Object Oriented Database Design

kilger@NewYork.ira.uka.de (Christoph Kilger) (04/22/91)

  Hello!

  Does anybody knows about a

                 graphical specification method

                             for

                   object oriented modelling ?

  The problem with object oriented modelling is the integration of
  structural and behavioral properties. That is why classical semantic
  data models, i.e., the Entity Relationship Model, cannot be used for
  object oriented design.

  We have build the object oriented database system GOM that is used by
  several groups, e.g., of the engineering domain, at the University
  of Karlsruhe. These user groups enquire for a graphical method
  that will be used

  (1) for the documentation of object oriented database schemas, and

  (2) for the specification of new applications.

  If you have developed such a method or know about one,
  please contact me.

  Christoph Kilger,

  IPD, Univ. Karlsruhe,
  7500 Karlsruhe, Germany.

allen@manic.ssc.gov (Mike Allen) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.073328.7858@ira.uka.de> kilger@NewYork.ira.uka.de (Christoph Kilger) writes:

Christoph> Originator: kilger@i40s17

Christoph>   Hello!

Christoph>   Does anybody knows about a

Christoph>                  graphical specification method

Christoph>                              for

Christoph>                    object oriented modelling ?

We are starting to use:
"Object-Oriented Modeling and Design", by James Rumbaugh, Michael
Blaha, William Premerlani, Frederick Eddy, and William Lorensen.

I don't know of any case tools that directly support their notation,
however.  Does any one else?

			   Michael E. Allen
			    Mail Stop 1046
			    SSC Laboratory
			2550 Beckleymeade Ave.
			   Dallas, TX 75237
			    (214)708-3031

al tadin et khaverkha 'ad shetagi'a limkomo
			-Ethics of the Fathers
Do not judge your fellow man until you have come to his place.

haim@taichi.uucp (24122-Haim Kilov(L028)m000) (04/28/91)

The problem with object oriented modelling is the integration of
  structural and behavioral properties. That is why classical semantic
  data models, i.e., the Entity Relationship Model, cannot be used for
  object oriented design.

--the first sentence is correct, whereas the second is not. ER model,
actually, deals with behavioral properties, although they are very simple
ones: after all, consider the precise definitions of such concepts as
"relationship", "dependent", "composite", etc. These definitions will be based
on primitive (CRUD) behavior of the particular entity and associated entities,
i.e., on operations jointly owned by these "clusters" of entities.
I have published a paper in TOOLS'91 on this topic, and we have also
published an extended Bellcore Special Report about this (I mentioned this
some time ago in comp.object).

On the other problem -- graphical representation of object classes -- I can
only say that it is difficult: the ER approach provides only a partial answer,
and you still need different graphical representations for different kinds
(meta-types) of entities. Still, it's a reasonably good approach.

The problem of more application-specific behavior is more difficult. Are you
absolutely sure that a graphical representation will help? After all, I agree
with Bertrand Meyer: A picture is worth thousand words, but did you try to
find seven errors in a picture?

Hope this helps.

-Haim Kilov
haim@bcr.cc.bellcore.com

pt@well.sf.ca.us (Neil Lang) (05/01/91)

(Christoph Kilger) writes:
>  Does anybody knows about a
>                 graphical specification method
>
>                             for
>                   object oriented modelling ?
>

>  The problem with object oriented modelling is the integration of
>  structural and behavioral properties. That is why classical semantic
>  data models, i.e., the Entity Relationship Model, cannot be used for
>  object oriented design.
>
>  Christoph Kilger,
>
>  IPD, Univ. Karlsruhe,
>  7500 Karlsruhe, Germany.

Shlaer-Mellor Object-Oriented Analysis (OOA) is a modeling method that
directly addresses the needs mentioned above.  OOA is summarized in a
paper "An Object-Oriented Approach to Domain Analysis" by Sally Shlaer
and Stephen Mellor, Software Engineering Notes  ACM Press July 1989.
The first of the 3 sets of models in OOA is the Information Model and
almost everything you might want to know about IM is covered in their
book "Object-Oriented Systems Analysis: Modeling the world in Data"
Prentice-Hall  1988.  The sequel "Object Lifecycles:  Modeling the World
in States"  will be available later this summer.

There are a small set of CASE tools that support various parts of OOA.
In particular Teamwork by Cadre supports all three models that make up
OOA.

Neil Lang                                     pt@well.sf.ca.us
Project Technology
2560 Ninth Street, Suite 214
Berkeley  CA  94710                               415-845-1484

nic@mrcu (Nick Chapman) (05/03/91)

>The first of the 3 sets of models in OOA is the Information Model and
>almost everything you might want to know about IM is covered in their
>book "Object-Oriented Systems Analysis: Modeling the world in Data"
>Prentice-Hall  1988.

What has this book got to do with Object Oriented analysis ?
-- absolutely nothing.

In my opinion this book consists entirely, of a shallow description of
the information model, and a technique that is just Structured Analysis
with a new name.

Look at the useful advice it gives on how to find the objects
contained within a system, which surely is the fundermental problem :

   It is assumed that you know the approximate "center" of the
   problem domain, and you will start there to identify objects. If
   you can't identify the center, start anywhere and just keep working.
   (Section 9.2.1)

>                     The sequel "Object Lifecycles:  Modeling the World
>in States"  will be available later this summer.

Can't wait !!

.Nick.
Nick Chapman, GEC-Marconi Research Centre | INTERNET: nic@uk.co.gec-mrc
Great Baddow, Chelmsford, Essex. CM2 8HN  | Tel: +44 245 73331 x3245