[comp.object] Reflections

budd@mist.cs.orst.edu (Tim Budd) (05/11/91)

Here is something more interesting and light-hearted to discusss.
Enough of these long silly technical discussions.

Many authors (not necessarily computer science authors) have noted
that in America people are largely characterized by their profession.
That is, when strangers are introduced here, the second question asked
(after finding out their respective names), is usually ``Well, what do you
do?''.  In many cultures, even some western cultures, such a personal
question might be seen as odd, if not offensive, but in America it is the norm.

Now it strikes me that this is a very object-oriented way of viewing the
world; namely that individuals are characterized more by their behavior than
their identity.  It is interesting to speculate to what degree programming
languages reflect the culture in which they are developed.

Could object-oriented programming have developed in, for example, China?
Or did it require Linneaus and several centuries of organization-by-hierarchy?
(I once had a student write a paper for me describing the traditional chinese
way of organizing knowledge, but neither he nor I could see how to make a
programming language that reflected this in the way that OOP reflects the
Linneaus-Aristotelean approach).

To what degree is the wide aceptance of
OOP based on the fact that we have already, our our everyday lives, bought
into the belief that objects are characterized by their behavior?

(Alternatively could OOP have been developed if the concept of class was
not so firmly rooted in our culture?  Since I know of no culture that
doesn't have classes in one form or another this is more difficult to
speculate about).

kasper@iesd.auc.dk (Kasper Osterbye) (05/13/91)

Tim Budd brings up the question as to whether OO is somthing inherrent
to the western culture? Interesting. To me the only assumptions behind
the object oriented approach is that we find it natural to understand the
world as objects and actions. We do in most languages have nouns and verbs,
though it has been discussed whether some north american indian languages
had nouns (a house is a rather long during event, but an event never the less).

As to whether it is common to organize knowledge in hierarchies, I dont know,
but the let's agree that object-based (Wegner's definition) is a pretty
common way of viewing the world.

--Kasper
--
Kasper Osterbye                     Internet: kasper@iesd.auc.dk
Institute for electronic systems    Aalborg University

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (05/14/91)

Well, this brings up my own observation about OO programming, and
Smalltalk in particular.

I've found that women seem prefer the Smalltalk paradigm over the
procedural paradigm, when faced with learning programming.  They've
generally been exposed to the procedural style first, and didn't enjoy
working with it.  Once they got into Smalltalk, they enjoyed programming
for the first time.

My theory is that while men are generally fascinated by machinery
and the fiddling thereof, women are generally fascinated by personal
interaction and find machinery boring.  The procedural paradigm
is mechanist in the extreme, whereas a Smalltalk program run
can be viewed as a conversation between fully designed members of
a society.  When programming is viewed in psychological terms,
women generally become much more interested.

Viewed in this light, Smalltalk can be viewed as a method of breaking
a machine up from one giant machine to many little machines.  Other
software paradigms such as genetic algorithms and neural networks
are farther out along this path: the individual elements are
less pre-defined, and have more able to change themselves
to fit their environment. (Note the words "fully designed" above.)

Lance Norskog

diamond@jit533.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (05/14/91)

In article <3926@motcsd.csd.mot.com> lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) writes:

>I've found that women seem prefer the Smalltalk paradigm over the
>procedural paradigm, when faced with learning programming.  They've
>generally been exposed to the procedural style first, and didn't enjoy
>working with it.  Once they got into Smalltalk, they enjoyed programming
>for the first time.
>My theory is that while men are generally fascinated by machinery
>and the fiddling thereof, women are generally fascinated by personal
>interaction and find machinery boring.

If this is the reason, then men should enjoy knitting and reading
cookbooks(*), while women should be bored by them.

(*  Of course some do, and I certainly believe that there should be no
legal or social or other pressure in either direction.  Only, statistical
observations contradict the proposed reasoning.)
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.

tmh@iesd.auc.dk (Torben Hagensen) (05/14/91)

Lance> I've found that women seem prefer the Smalltalk paradigm over the
Lance> procedural paradigm, when faced with learning programming.  They've
Lance> generally been exposed to the procedural style first, and didn't enjoy
Lance> working with it.  Once they got into Smalltalk, they enjoyed programming
Lance> for the first time.

This has in my opinion nothing to do with the programming paradigm.
The Smalltalk environment is simply nicer to use than f.x. an editor
and a C++ compiler.

Lance> My theory is that while men are generally fascinated by machinery
Lance> and the fiddling thereof, women are generally fascinated by personal
Lance> interaction and find machinery boring.  The procedural paradigm
Lance> is mechanist in the extreme, whereas a Smalltalk program run
Lance> can be viewed as a conversation between fully designed members of
Lance> a society.  When programming is viewed in psychological terms,
Lance> women generally become much more interested.

Some men (and women) have more patience with intolerable environments
than others, because they are fascinated by the machinery. Again, this
has nothing to do with procedural or functional vs. object oriented
paradigms. The difference is that men are brought up to be fascinated
by maschinery.

			------------------

My point is that there is no difference in men and womens tendency to
describe the world as objects and operations.

It could be interesting to examine whether women uses more nouns in
their natural language than men, since that would be the ultimate
consequence of your theory.

			------------------

Lance> Lance Norskog

-Torben (alias tmh@iesd.auc.dk)

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (05/20/91)

In article <KASPER.91May13085543@blue.iesd.auc.dk> kasper@iesd.auc.dk (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
>Tim Budd brings up the question as to whether OO is somthing inherrent
>to the western culture? Interesting. To me the only assumptions behind
>the object oriented approach is that we find it natural to understand the
>world as objects and actions.

Aristotle and Plato's viewpoint predominated before Copernicus, Galileo, Darwin
etc brought on the nature-centric, object-oriented, 'scientific' viewpoint.
Telescopes, microscopes and butterfly nets first; logic and mathematics later.
In other words, orient on the objects instead of insisting on a
programmer-centric view of the universe.

To the Platonists, the world of the senses was a place of illusion. Truth
could only be had by applying reason, logic, and mathematics. Just as so
many Neo-Platonists still hope to do for software.

--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482