[comp.object] Demeter environment

simmons@crd.ge.com (simmons) (06/01/91)

A friend has asked me if I know anything of a software environment
called Demeter.  I gather this is a programming environment to
support/enforce the Law of Demeter.  I have tried archie for
anything named demeter, but came up empty.  Has anyone out there
heard of such a thing?

		-- Mel Simmons
		   simmons@crd.ge.com
		   GE Corporate Research
		   Schenectady NY

jcm@mstr.hgc.edu (James McKim) (06/02/91)

In article <SIMMONS.91Jun1052304@shaula.crd.ge.com> simmons@crd.ge.com (simmons) writes:
>A friend has asked me if I know anything of a software environment
>called Demeter.  I gather this is a programming environment to
>support/enforce the Law of Demeter.  I have tried archie for
>anything named demeter, but came up empty.  Has anyone out there
>heard of such a thing?
>
>		-- Mel Simmons
>		   simmons@crd.ge.com
>		   GE Corporate Research
>		   Schenectady NY

Demeter is a CASE tool developed mainly by Karl Lieberherr who
is also the author of "the Law". There is a nice article in
the August/September, 1988 issue of JOOP that describes both.
Anyone know of more recent articles?

Hope this helps,
-- Jim

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Jim McKim  (203)-548-2458   _Give_ people fish and they eat for a day.
Internet:  jcm@mstr.hgc.edu _Teach_ people to fish and they eat for a lifetime.

px@fct.unl.pt (Joaquim Baptista [pxQuim]) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.153016.11195@mstr.hgc.edu> jcm@mstr.hgc.edu
(James McKim) writes:

   In article <SIMMONS.91Jun1052304@shaula.crd.ge.com>
   simmons@crd.ge.com (simmons) writes:
   >A friend has asked me if I know anything of a software environment
   >called Demeter.  I gather this is a programming environment to
   >support/enforce the Law of Demeter.  I have tried archie for
   >anything named demeter, but came up empty.  Has anyone out there
   >heard of such a thing?
   >
   >		-- Mel Simmons
   >		   simmons@crd.ge.com
   >		   GE Corporate Research
   >		   Schenectady NY

   Demeter is a CASE tool developed mainly by Karl Lieberherr who
   is also the author of "the Law". There is a nice article in
   the August/September, 1988 issue of JOOP that describes both.
   Anyone know of more recent articles?

OOPSLA'89 includes an article which describes the use of the Demeter
environment to teach object oriented thinking.  It goes to great
detail in explaining the motivation of the students and the precise
schedule of the material that is presented.

----
Joaquim Baptista, aka px@fct.unl.pt, px@unl.uucp
Snail: CRIA, UNINOVA, FCT/UNL, 2825 Mt Caparica, Portugal

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun2.153016.11195@mstr.hgc.edu> jcm@mstr.hgc.edu (James McKim) writes:
 > Demeter is a CASE tool developed mainly by Karl Lieberherr who
 > is also the author of "the Law". There is a nice article in
 > the August/September, 1988 issue of JOOP that describes both.
 > Anyone know of more recent articles?

Slightly more recent:

	OOPSLA '89 Conference Proceedings
	"Contributions to Teaching Object-Oriented Design and Programming"
	Karl J. Lieberherr and Ather J. Riel

// marc

--
// home: marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc
// work: marc@ascend.com		uunet!aria!marc

perez@csc.ti.com (Edward Perez) (06/11/91)

According to the preliminary list I saw, the Demeter environment will be one of
the demos at this year's OOPSLA in Phoenix in October.

edward roland perez          internet: perez@csc.ti.com             #
computer science center         csnet: perez%ti-csl@relay.cs.net    #
texas instruments, dallas       phone: 214-995-0698(w)              #