[comp.object] NIH library

hp6713@mars.njit.edu (Himanshu N. Pandit) (06/09/91)

From:  Himanshu N. Pandit  hp6713@mars.njit.edu

Dear Friends,

Many Many thanks for responses to my question on how to implement
circular relationships.

Special Thanks to:

      Jan Snydr-Michal    Digital Imaging Group Switzerland
      Brian Kennedy       Texas Instruments
      Gavin Lee           ??
      Jeff Barbose        CMU

How to get NIH Library
----------------------

Following Parties wants to know how to get NIH Lib.

Mike Geipel Eurotherm Corporation
Andrew Eichstaedt   MIT

This is copy of Dave McQuate's[(707) 577-4585] nice reply to me:

You can use anonymous ftp

ftp alw.nih.gov

login: guest
password:   your id  eg. hp6713@mars.njit.edu

ONE YOU ARE LOGGED IN

cd pub
ls -l
binary
get nihcl.tar.Z
quit

there are several versions:
nihcl-2.204a.tar.Z
nihcl-3.0.tar.Z
nihcl.tar.Z

You need atleast 660K

When you get it, unpack it using command
" zcat nihcl.tar.Z | tar xf -"

Have fun.

To understand this library a recommended book

Data Abstraction and OO Programming in C++
Keith Gorlen, S.M. Orlow adn P.S.Plexco

John Wiley & Sons Inc
(201) 469-4400

MAKE SURE:  When I got this library, it was free and I mean free. No Copy
            right problems. All material above is based on replies I got.
            Due to DiskQuota Problems I can't put all my correspondence
            here.

If you still have any questions, please call me.

Himanshu Pandit (914) 724-4192
AGS Information Services.

ntm1169@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (06/11/91)

From article <1991Jun8.174033.9082@njitgw.njit.edu>, by hp6713@mars.njit.edu (Himanshu N. Pandit):

> How to get NIH Library
> ----------------------
> get nihcl.tar.Z

   What is "nihcl"?  What language is it implemented in?
   What is the difference between the different versions of it in the
   /pub directory?  There is no README or INDEX file for the directory.

Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency ,DSAC-TMP, P.O. Box 1605,
Bldg. 27  Section 1, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, OH 43216-5002
INTERNET: mgiven@dsac.dla.mil         UUCP:  ...osu-cis!dsac!mgiven
Phone:  614-238-9431    AUTOVON: 850-9431     FAX: 614-238-3214

hp6713@mars.njit.edu (Himanshu N. Pandit) (06/11/91)

This afternoon someone left a message on my answering machine
regarding NIH library copyright. It seems to me that some misunderstanding
has been created when I wrote - free of copyright and free of cost.

What I meant by free is that there is no legal agreement that one has to sign
before logging into this account.  There is however a prescribed legal set of
copyright agreement which can be obtained from NIH.

I hope this clarifies the matter. Thanks.

Himanshu

kgorlen@alw.nih.gov (Keith Gorlen) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.021830.7717@njitgw.njit.edu>, hp6713@mars.njit.edu (Himanshu N. Pandit) writes:
|> This afternoon someone left a message on my answering machine
|> regarding NIH library copyright. It seems to me that some misunderstanding
|> has been created when I wrote - free of copyright and free of cost.
|>
|> What I meant by free is that there is no legal agreement that one has to sign
|> before logging into this account.  There is however a prescribed legal set of
|> copyright agreement which can be obtained from NIH.
|>
|> I hope this clarifies the matter. Thanks.
|>
|> Himanshu

The following applies to the NIH Class Library, unless noted otherwise
in the source file:

	THIS SOFTWARE FITS THE DESCRIPTION IN THE U.S. COPYRIGHT ACT OF A
	"UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT WORK".  IT WAS WRITTEN AS A PART OF THE
	AUTHOR'S OFFICIAL DUTIES AS A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE.  THIS MEANS IT
	CANNOT BE COPYRIGHTED.  THIS SOFTWARE IS FREELY AVAILABLE TO THE
	PUBLIC FOR USE WITHOUT A COPYRIGHT NOTICE, AND THERE ARE NO
	RESTRICTIONS ON ITS USE, NOW OR SUBSEQUENTLY.

An exception to this are the files lib/regex.h and lib/regex/regex.c.,
which are Copyright (C) 1985 Free Software Foundation, Inc.  See these
files for the terms and conditions governing this software.

--
	Keith Gorlen			phone: (301) 496-1111
	Building 12A, Room 2033		FAX: (301) 402-0007