[comp.object] Name that article

xexeo@cernvax.cern.ch (geraldo xexeo) (06/13/91)

I once read an article that divided languages in
object based (as actors languages)
class based
object oriented (class+inheritance).

It is an old article, even this classification is not used
since there are various kinds of languages now, but I
need it. Probably edited in one conference.

Any of you have the reference on this article? I should refer
to it in a paper but I am 9000 Km from my files.

Thanks,

	 Geraldo Xexeo

sakkinen@jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (06/13/91)

In article <5661@cernvax.cern.ch> xexeo@cernvax.cern.ch (geraldo xexeo) writes:
>I once read an article that divided languages in
>object based (as actors languages)
>class based
>object oriented (class+inheritance).

Peter Wegner, "Dimensions of Object-Based Language Design",
in OOPSLA'87 Proceedings (SIGPLAN Notices 22:12), p. 168 - 182.

>It is an old article, even this classification is not used
>since there are various kinds of languages now, but I
>need it. Probably edited in one conference.

I agree with you that this classification does not seem very relevant,
at least not as _the_ classification of OO languages;  but relatively
many authors still refer to it.  Peter Wegner has later written a truly
"wide-spectrum", wide-view article entitled "Concepts and Paradigms
of Object-Oriented Programming";  it fills practically the whole
first issue of ACM's OOPS Messenger (August 1990).  I was surprised
that he still upheld that classification somewhere in the new paper.

"All similarities with real persons and events are purely accidental."
      official disclaimer of news agency New China

Markku Sakkinen (sakkinen@jytko.jyu.fi)
       SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
PL 35
SF-40351 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland

diamond@jit533.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (06/13/91)

In article <5661@cernvax.cern.ch> xexeo@cernvax.cern.ch (geraldo xexeo) writes:
>I once read an article that divided languages in
>object based (as actors languages)
>class based
>object oriented (class+inheritance).

Cardelli & Wegner, I think in Computing Surveys.  Yes, it's a bit old now.
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.

rusa@diku.dk (Bjarne Steensgaard) (06/13/91)

The paper you are looking for is probably "Dimensions of Object-Based
Language Design" by Peter Wegner. You can find it in the OOPSLA '87
Proceedings page 168-182.

--Bjarne Steensgaard
(rusa@diku.dk)