[comp.object] Object-World Conference Review

schultz@grebyn.com (Ronald Schultz) (06/18/91)

Trip Report for Object-World
San Francisco - June 3-7
Prepared by Ron Schultz

Agenda

Tuesday 	- June 4 Arrival at Object-World, Quick tour of
		the vendor exhibits
Wednesday 	- June 5 Attended portion of  Keynote address by
		Colin Crook of Citybank
		Attended Session titled Management of the
		Information Systems Development Process
		Attended Session titled Adopting Object
		Technology
		Toured the exhibit floors and met with
		exhibitors and vendor reps
Thursday 	- June 6	Attended Session titled Executive
		Champions of Object Technology
			Toured the exhibit floor

Comments

Object World was touted as "The First Show of Force in Object
Technology".  Twenty Seven vendors were present.  Of  these
four were magazine publishers, four were OODBMS vendors,
three were Smalltalk related vendors, and four were large
computer vendors.  The remaining vendors were a mix of
development tools, GUI interface builders, consultants and
trainers, and compiler vendors.  IBM was not present,
although in the initial Object-World advertising it was
announced IBM would be.  This was clearly not a show of force
by any stretch of the imagination.

Object World attempted to address the needs of the commercial
marketplace.  Sessions focused on commercial topics such as
"Gaining Competitive Advantage", "Integrating Legacy Systems
with Object Systems", and "Executive Champions of Object
Technology".  Yet in many cases the sessions seldom met the
expectations generated by the program agenda.  Take for
example the following abstract for Adopting Object
Technology.

MT-2
Adopting Object Technology

Object-oriented technology promises great payoffs in the long
run, but there are costs and challenges associated with its
adoption.  This session explores the decisions, costs and
early benefits of the decision to go object-oriented.  Which
platform (language, hardware, and OS) should you choose?  How
can you integrate the old with the new?  Do you need and
object-oriented database to keep everything organized?  How
do you get your people to sign on?  How long does it take to
get results?  And what are those results?

Chair: Esther Dyson of EdVenture
Speakers Nancy Martin from Coopers and Lybrand, Sesha Pratap
from Saber Software, and Jim King from NCR.

This session basically ignored every question mentioned in
the abstract.  Each speaker talked in anecdotes about their
particular encounter with OO.  Only Jim King from NCR gave
specific and useful information concerning any of the
questions mentioned in the abstract.  When I specifically
asked about the chair about the costs of starting an OO
effort I was told "it all depended, it varied on pilot
project size, ...".  Nancy Martin said to use my technology
insertion model to determine the costs.  I found this
interesting in that I have found very, very few organizations
with formal technology insertion models in place.  This
entire session was dominated by vagueness and obtuse
references to object nirvana.

I found  this lack of tangibility and specifics the case in
most of the sessions I attended.  While I found the anecdotes
entertaining I could see little presented at this conference
that would convince me to utilize object-oriented technology.
Even the term "object" was used in vague and often
contradictory ways.  As an example, an Object management
Group  paper distributed at the conference showed a class
hierarchy of document that included objects such as pages,
sections, paragraphs, and words.  I do not recall situations
where attributes or operations for documents are useful on
specific words.

For the object naive, this conference I believe was a waste
of conference dollars.  The attendees did not even receive a
conference proceedings.  For  those familiar with object
technology, this provided an opportunity to see how vendors
are trying to expand their sales and marketing into the
commercial marketplace, and expand out of their current niche
markets.

As an aside, in a previous life I was involved in a number of
Interop shows.  Interop is a trade show that focuses on OSI
and TCP-IP communications and interoperability.  Interop
started out as a small show (100-200 people) and in four
years grew to over 2000 in attendance.  At the point
attendance exceeded 2000 TCP-IP and OSI were what could be
considered mainstream.  Object World attendance seemed less
than 400 people, yet I was told by the show staff that
registered attendance was over 2500.  The real force of
object technology, at least in the commercial marketplace,
seems a minimum of three to five years away.

I would like to hear other people's comments about Object World.
Thanx.

Ron Schultz
schultz@grebyn.com
614-798-0295

dlw@odi.com (Dan Weinreb) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.124231.11599@grebyn.com> schultz@grebyn.com (Ronald Schultz) writes:

   For the object naive, this conference I believe was a waste
   of conference dollars.  The attendees did not even receive a
   conference proceedings.

I believe that's typical for this kind of conference.  It's not like
an academic conference.  It's more like a trade show with seminars and
panels.  Things like Object World are often specifically addressed to
people with relatively less technical background, rather than to the
kind of people who would benefit from the kind of academic conferences
that issue conference proceedings.  It sounds to me as if you were
overqualified for Object World.  On the other hand, I agree that these
conferences are often oversold, as if you can just wander in, get all
the answers to all the hard real-world management questions, and
wander back out.

					 The real force of
   object technology, at least in the commercial marketplace,
   seems a minimum of three to five years away.

If you mean that there's likely to be substantially wider use of
object technology in three to five years than there is now, I agree
with that.  Despite the usual characterization of the computer world
as being "fast-paced", it takes a lot of time for new ideas to spread
all around.

dlw@odi.com (Dan Weinreb) (06/19/91)

By the way, thank you for posting the review of the conference.  I'd
be interested in reading peoples' reviews of conferences in general.

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.124231.11599@grebyn.com>, schultz@grebyn.com (Ronald Schultz) writes:

> Trip Report for Object-World
> San Francisco - June 3-7
> Prepared by Ron Schultz

...stuff deleted...

> At the point
> attendance exceeded 2000 TCP-IP and OSI were what could be
> considered mainstream.  Object World attendance seemed less
> than 400 people, yet I was told by the show staff that
> registered attendance was over 2500.  The real force of
> object technology, at least in the commercial marketplace,
> seems a minimum of three to five years away.
>
> I would like to hear other people's comments about Object World.
> Thanx.
	I think a more realistic barometer of the technology's growth
	is OOPSLA which does do exceedingly well with over 2000 attendees
	last fall (and IBM folk were session chairs).  I think a lot of OOP
	practitioners are saving their "recesionized" OOP travel budgets
	for that event.

lyons@srg (Don R. Lyons x4811) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.101752.4921@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
	   I think a more realistic barometer of the technology's growth
	   is OOPSLA which does do exceedingly well with over 2000 attendees
	   last fall (and IBM folk were session chairs).  I think a lot of OOP
	   practitioners are saving their "recesionized" OOP travel budgets
	   for that event.

I went to OOPSLA last year and was disappointed. The conference,
in my opinion, was lacking practical information. Next year, I
hope OOPSLA spends more conference time on OO Design, OO Proj
Management, C++ ( that is "conference" and not 2 days of tutorials)
and less time on reseach papers discussing Smalltalk and CLOS.
		-don
--
Don R Lyons                          Any opinions expressed are my own.
Arinc Research Inc                   uucp : uunet!srg!lyons