[alt.sys.sun] X11/NeWS Availability

moraes@csri.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (12/10/89)

rogern@SUN.COM (Roger Nolan) writes:
>The status of OpenWindows (and the X11/NeWS merge) was until recently
>"on hold."

How recently did it stop being "on hold"?

One site at UofT has an OpenWindows FCS tape for the Sun3. (it arrived
last week when someone from Sun gave us a talk on X11/NeWS) At the
talk, they said that it was a developers release:  one had to send
them a letter stating reasons for ordering X11/NeWS (we're kinky, ok?
we like to buy window systems so we can use up more disk space...)
and that had to be approved by "higher-ups". A small quota was also
mentioned, "for support reasons". None of this is mentioned in the
glossies...

About this RTU: Is it legal if we make copies of X11/NeWS for all Suns
on campus from the one site that has the tape? (Well, make that all
Suns that want it -- that server is *BIG*) For all Suns not on campus
-- say at neighbouring Universities etc?  If so, maybe Sun could allow
someone to stuff the thing on the SEXtape or SUGtape? Or a set of
binaries for anonymous ftp? Think of the netnews volume in "Has anyone
seen X11/NeWS" requests this would save?  Much of the documentation
consists of books that one can get from a local bookstore -- the books
on X been in our lab for several months now, and the red/blue
PostScript books for several years...

Oh well -- we'll just wait for X.V11R4 release, promised "this
yearish".  All I want is a fast Sun colour X server; I suspect I'm not
alone in that desire. (monochrome X11 has been running on our
Sun3/[56]0s for well over a year and a half as the de facto standard
windowing system -- our users seem to like it)