[alt.sys.sun] Telebit registers

wolfgang@wsrcc (Wolfgang S. Rupprecht) (08/21/90)

In article <559@array.UUCP> colin@array.UUCP (Colin Plumb) writes:
>In article <147@grumbly.UUCP> root@grumbly.com writes:
>> Does anyone know how to access Telebit registers S70, S71, S72, S73, S74,
>> S75, S76, S77, S78 - or seen a program to read these during a connection?
>You can also use the secondary port, I think... some extra pins on the
>RS232 port are used to make a second serial port that can be used for
>an out-of-band control channel.  I've never tried it myself, but the
>first technique I described, I can vouch for.

Well, I have used the port on the secondary rs-232 channel.  It works.
Two caveats though:

	1) the secondary port only runs at 9600 baud (even though the
	   primary channel was set to 19200)

	2) the port gets all confused if you dial the connection on
	   the primary channel and then talk to it on the secondary.
	   Simply use the secondary channel for dialing and all is
	   well.

Oh, the tie in to Alt.Sys.Sun?  The Sparc SLC dual A/B port has the
compatible pinout to the Telebit dual A/B port.  A straight 25-pin
cable works great.  Just fire up two tip's one connecting to port A
the other to port B.

Sending the output of the Telebit registers to xgraph is a blast!  You
can see the bathtub shaped noise curves, etc.

While at it, its also fun to graph a scatter plot of
/usr/lib/uucp/SYSLOG.  Anyone else tried that?  Can anyone explain the
curve(s)?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang Rupprecht      uunet!nancy!wsrcc!wolfgang
Internet:		nancy!wsrcc!wolfgang@uunet.uu.net