[fa.info-vax] VMS mailers followup

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (11/16/84)

From: Alexander B. Latzko <LATZKO@RU-BLUE.ARPA>

Gentlefolk,

Please accept my apologies for tardiness in this posting.  I took ill and
it has taken me a while to dig out of the pile .

Many thanks to all who replied to my original request.  All who sent
submissions have been written to outside this missive.  It looks like
the VMS mailer is not as universally loved as it could be and should
probably be augmented or replaced.

The entries herein have been heavily edited for space.  The content of messages
hasn't been changed.
many thanks
alex
<latzko@ru-blue>
!allegra!ru-blue!latzko

Date: 10 Oct 1984 1108-EDT
From: Reed B. Powell <POWELL at DEC-MARLBORO>

I believe that there is someone at Stanford (I'd recognize the name but
cannot remember it) who has an MM for VMS.  It was used as an example of
converting TOPS20 MACRO to VMS C, if I remember correctly, and looked
just like TOPS20 MM.

Consider me interested in your findings, by the way!

thanks,
-reed
/*  I'm not sure but I think it is Dave Kashtan as referenced below abl*/

10-Oct-84 12:55:41-EDT,599;000000000011
Date: Wed 10 Oct 84 09:59:32-PST
From: David L. Kashtan <KASHTAN@SRI-IU>
Subject: Re: mailers and bboards

I have about 80% completed VAX-MM (an exact clone of MM on the -20).
If you are interested, I could put you on the list of potential test
sites.
David

10-Oct-84 13:11:25-EDT,696;000000000011
Sender: TLI@USC-ECLB
From: Tony Li <Tli@Usc-Eclb>
To:   "Alexander B. Latzko" <LATZKO@RU-BLUE.ARPA>
Subject: mailers and bboards

How goes it?  We were looking for the same thing quite a while ago,
and just couldn't find one.  So we're writing our own.  Interested?

Anyhow, we're currently working on a mailsystem which will talk to
DEC-20 MM, and the entire setup is modeled on MM.  To do this
properly, we've had to build the funcionality of Tops-20 (including
escape completion!), which is quite a large job.  As you might
imagine, this isn't quite finished yet, but a first pass is working,
and does seem to provide most of the necessary functionality.  I'd be
interested in anything that you manage to turn up.  We'd be happy to
stop re-inventing the wheel if someone has beat us to the punch.

Cheers,
Tony ;-)

From: RAY@SRI-KL.ARPA

Alexander,

 I have written an extended version of the DEC mail program that has most
of the functionality of MM on TOPS20. Some of the highlights.
	o It is compatible with DEC's mail program - commands available
	  in MAIL are still there and the mail file is not munged so that
	  MAIL can't read it.
	o Ranges have been implemented. I.E. DELETE 1:10
	  Range modifiers include: /FLAGGED, /DELETED, /FROM, /SUBJECT,
	  /NEW, /AFTER, /BEFORE, /SINCE.
	o DELETE doesn't take affect until you EXIT or EXPUNGE
	  there is also an UNDELETE command.
	o Read Mode implemented. It has VMS flavor, i.e. READ/FROM RAY
	  /SUBJ "TCP/IP" - read messages with string RAY and subject with
	  string TCP/IP. Pauses after each message in range for action.
	o Send Mode implemented. Similar to TOPS20. commands include
	  REMOVE, ERASE, EDIT, BCC, CC, TO, SUBJECT, DISPLAY, HELP,
	  DAYTIME, PUSH.
	o Handles both DECNET and ARPANET style addresses. Uses the
	  EUNICE (Kashtan) SMTP interface to do Arpanet sends. Also,
	  duplicate names are only sent once.
	o Init files have been implemented.

 These are the things that I can think of off the top of my head.
Some of the standard Mail commands have been enhanced, i.e. HELP.
The program is derived from DEC's Mail program and is written in
BLISS and MACRO. Let me know if you are interested.

Ray

From: Bob Larson <BLARSON@ECLD.#ECLnet>

USC decided the same thing and decided to write one.  It is nearing completion
(does not yet support the edit command) and uses decnet to talk to other
vaxes and Tops20 machines.

Unfortuatly USC (a private non-profit university) has restrictive policies
about both selling and giving away such things.  Perhaps you could sponsor
a research project?

At the time we were considering writing this there was another such program
announced but not available.

If you have further questions on it, or have serious interest in buying it,
send mail to me (Blarson@usc-ecl) and I'll forward it to the appropriate
person.

Bob Larson <BLarson@Usc-Ecl>
-------

From: Walt <Buehring%ti-csl.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

One pointer I can offer is the VMS Mail Router software -- it provides a
way to interface other user agents/networks to VMS mail (with effort).
We have it here but no one has had enough time to look at it closely.
It obviously won't give you what you want by itself, but it's a start.

Date:        23 Oct 84 00:37 +0100
From:        Tommy_Ericson__QZ%QZCOM.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

Here is one more answer on the topic:

No, we don't have a BBoard program, but we have something more
capable - we have PortaCOM, a portable teleconferencing system.
Portable: currently running on UNIVAC 1100, VAX/VMS, soon to
come up on IBM VM/CMS and MVS/TSO, plus a number of others.
Some 95-odd percent is written in Pascal, the rest is OS interface.
Teleconferencing: you will get both Mail, Conferencing and BBoarding
facilities, a very flexible tool actually. Using the conferencing
concept is equivalent to having an automatical sorting of all
of your incoming messages, thus helping you stay "within the topic"
much easier.

There is a lot more to be said, please give me a note if you
are interested in further details.

Best regards,

- Tommy

-------