[alt.sys.sun] how do I find the swap traffic in the output of NFSWATCH?

cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) (11/08/90)

I am trying to determine the load on our ethernet - 16 3/[5|6]0s
running SunOS 4.1 on a 3/180 server. Before the upgrade from SunOS
3.5 the "nd" swap traffic was obvious from the output from nfswatch;
now it is not so clear to me. The packets are mostly TCP(25%) and
UDP(75%) - is this the NFS verses SWAP division?
Any help appreciated - I can't find any details in the manual.

cheers,
gerry

ps. this is what I have so far:-

NFSwatch logfile summary:
    Log time:     Wed Nov  7 14:26:56 1990 to Thu Nov  8 12:56:56 1990
    Log entries:  136
    Packets from: all hosts
    Packets to:   all hosts

Total packets:
     2521819 (network)  2521819 (to host)    26863 (dropped)

Packet counters:
    ND Read:                         0       0%
    ND Write:                        0       0%
    NFS Read:                   406603      16%
    NFS Write:                   85598       3%
    NFS Mount:                     347       0%
    Yellow Pages:                 8990       0%
    RPC Authorization:          522805      21%
    Other RPC Packets:          366314      15%

    TCP Packets:                435955      17%
    UDP Packets:               2083963      83%
    ICMP Packets:                   95       0%
    Routing Control:              5536       0%
    Address Resolution:            373       0%
    Reverse Addr Resol:           1297       0%
    Ethernet Broadcast:           8274       0%
    Other Packets:                 136       0%

NFS counters:
    ccsunfs(3,3):                51502      10%
    ccsunfs(3,4):               141446      29%
    ccsunfs(3,6):               112525      23%
    ccsunfs(3,7):                74342      15%
    seq1(0,0):                  112372      23%
    ccmeiko1(7,6):                  14       0%
--
gerry pratt  --  workstation support  --  university of keele
email:  gerry@seq1.keele.ac.uk   *   tel:  0782 621111 x 3290

davy@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com (David Curry) (11/16/90)

In article <706@keele.keele.ac.uk> cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) writes:
>I am trying to determine the load on our ethernet - 16 3/[5|6]0s
>running SunOS 4.1 on a 3/180 server. Before the upgrade from SunOS
>3.5 the "nd" swap traffic was obvious from the output from nfswatch;
>now it is not so clear to me. The packets are mostly TCP(25%) and
>UDP(75%) - is this the NFS verses SWAP division?
>Any help appreciated - I can't find any details in the manual.

No.  *ALL* NFS traffic (unless you have a truly weird version of NFS)
will be UDP traffic.

Basically, the left column of counters is counting RPC and ND packets
(all at least loosely NFS and YP related), while the right column is
counting all packets received by the machine.  So TCP packets counts
all TCP packets recieved by the host.  And UDP packets counts all UDP
packets recieved by the host, not just NFS packets.

To count swap packets, you'd need to list the swap files in a
"filelist", and then run "nfswatch -f filelist".  That's because these
is NOTHING special about swap in SunOS 4.x -- it's just more NFS.  Oh
-- and just FYI, not all ND traffic is swap -- most of it is, but
remember that the root partition (and therefore /tmp, etc.) used to
come via ND as well.

--Dave Curry (author of nfswatch)

cs@Eng.Sun.COM (Carl Smith) (11/16/90)

In article <706@keele.keele.ac.uk>, cca13@seq1.keele.ac.uk (G.D. Pratt) writes:
> I am trying to determine the load on our ethernet - 16 3/[5|6]0s
> running SunOS 4.1 on a 3/180 server. Before the upgrade from SunOS
> 3.5 the "nd" swap traffic was obvious from the output from nfswatch;
> now it is not so clear to me. The packets are mostly TCP(25%) and
> UDP(75%) - is this the NFS verses SWAP division?

	It's difficult to tell how much traffic to attribute to swapping over
NFS because the only difference between that and any other NFS I/O is the file
on which I/O is being done.
	Depending on how well-organized your file servers are, nfswatch may be
able to tell you what you need to know.  It understands the format of some
vendors file handles and can therefore often tell you what file system is the
target of the I/O.  If a given file system on the server contains only swap
files, you can be confident that any NFS traffic to that file system is attrib-
utable to swapping.
	For the truly desparate, you may be able to convince a server to tell
you what the file handles are for its swap files.  It would then be simple to
modify nfswatch to monitor an explicit list of file handles.

			Carl