[alt.sys.sun] Appending files to and exabyte tape on a sun Sparcstation

toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) (12/17/90)

We have a Exabyte 8mm tape drive on a sun Sparcstation and would like
to be able to append files to the end of a tape without having to know
how many files that have been written already.

The eom function on mt seems to just skip to the physical end of tape and
then get an error.

--
	Toivo Pedaste				ACSNET:   toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz
	WARCC,					INTERNET: toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz.au

garyb@gallium.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) (12/21/90)

In article <1990Dec17.095133.27905@uniwa.uwa.oz> toivo@uniwa.uwa.oz (Toivo Pedaste) writes:

>We have a Exabyte 8mm tape drive on a sun Sparcstation and would like
>to be able to append files to the end of a tape without having to know
>how many files that have been written already.
>
>The eom function on mt seems to just skip to the physical end of tape and
>then get an error.

How about just using the non-rewinding device and dump, or is that too
easy?

- Gary

garyb@gallium