[alt.sys.sun] Mail sorter needed

dcox@ssd.kodak.com (Don Cox (253-7121)) (01/10/91)

System: Sun4/260, SunOS4.0.3

I receive e-mail daily from a couple dozen machines. I then
manually sort the mail into the appropiate mail folders
(~dcox/mail/machine1_messages, ~dcox/mail/machine2_messages, etc).
The mail is always from the same machines, and it always goes
into the same folders.  Is there a script or program that will
sort this mail for me?

Thanks much.
--
                  Don Cox
Phone (716) 253-7121      KMX (716) 253-7998

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (01/10/91)

Don> manually sort the mail into the appropiate mail folders
[...]
Don> The mail is always from the same machines, and it always goes
Don> into the same folders.  Is there a script or program that will
Don> sort this mail for me?

Why don't you "get on the bandwagon" with GNU Emacs/VM mailer... more
info is avaiable from info-vm-request@uunet.uu.net, _not_ me.

Naturally, I'm not sure if it does what you want, but it's free &
groovy... here's part of its manual:
-----------------

File: vm  Node: Grouping Messages, Prev: Undoing, Up: Top, Next: Reading Digests

Grouping Messages
*****************

In order to make numerous related messages easier to cope with, VM
provides the command `G' (`vm-group-messages'), which groups all message
in a folder according to some criterion.  "Grouping" causes messages
that are related in some way to be presented consecutively.  The actual
order of the folder is not altered; the messages are simply numbered and
presented differently.  Grouping should not be confused with sorting;
grouping only moves messages that occur later in the folder backward to
"clump" with other related messages.

The grouping criteria currently supported are:
`subject'
     Messages with the same subject (ignoring "Re:" prefixes) are grouped
     together.
`author'
     Messages with the same author are grouped together.
`date-sent'
     Messages sent on the same day are grouped together.
`arrival-time'
     Message presentation reverts to arrival time ordering (the default).

If the variable `vm-group-by' has a non-`nil' value it specifies the
default grouping that will be used for all folders.  So if you like
having your mail presented to you grouped by subject, then put `(setq
vm-group-by "subject")' in your `.emacs' file to get this behavior.

--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

primer@math.harvard.edu (Jeremy Primer) (01/11/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Jan9182908@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, Dan Jacobson writes:
>Don> manually sort the mail into the appropiate mail folders
> [...]
>Don> The mail is always from the same machines, and it always goes
>Don> into the same folders.  Is there a script or program that will
>Don> sort this mail for me?

> Why don't you "get on the bandwagon" with GNU Emacs/VM mailer... more
> info is avaiable from info-vm-request@uunet.uu.net, _not_ me.

Dan goes on to mention that VM has a powerful message grouping facility
which allows to control the order in which messages in your folders are
presented to you.  He neglects to point out that VM also has an
auto-archive feature which sorts mail, whenever you request it, into
folders based on regular expression matching of specific subject fields.

The current official distribution version of VM is 4.41, which is available
by anonymous ftp as

  tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/packages/vm-4.41.tar.Z

The beta test VM version 5 is available by anonymous ftp as

  ab20.larc.nasa.gov:/pub/vm/vm-5.21.tar.Z   (where .21 is liable to increase)

The author is Kyle Jones.  I do not speak for him in any way and I bear
full responsibility (moral but not legal) for any mistakes in this message.
I used VM 4.41, which was good, but I much prefer VM 5.  Both have the
wonderful feature of leaving your mail in Unix mail format and using the
same one-letter commands as BSD Mail.  Anyone using the beta test version
ought to subscribe to the relevant mailing list by writing to

  bug-vm-request@uunet.uu.net

Like Dan before me, I'd prefer not to provide any further information on VM.
--
Jeremy Primer, Department of Mathematics, 1 Oxford Street, Cambridge MA 02138
primer@math.harvard.edu     ...!harvard!zariski!primer    primer@huma1.bitnet

ziegast@eng.umd.edu (Eric W. Ziegast) (01/11/91)

Dan Jacobson writes:
>Don Cox said:
>Don> manually sort the mail into the appropiate mail folders
> [...]
>Don> The mail is always from the same machines, and it always goes
>Don> into the same folders.  Is there a script or program that will
>Don> sort this mail for me?
>
> Why don't you "get on the bandwagon" with GNU Emacs/VM mailer... more
> info is avaiable from info-vm-request@uunet.uu.net, _not_ me.

If you have MH, there is a mail filter command which, when put in your
.forward file, will perform actions on incoming messages depending on their
header info.  The actions which you can perform are:

	pipe to a command executed by sh
	file into a UUCP file folder
	throw it away

With a small patch I've made, it files the message into a UCB Mail
folder.  The best part about it is that you don't have to jump onto
anyone's bandwagon.  Use BSD Mail, GNU emacs mail, MH or whatever.

If you have MH, it's described in the mhook(1) man page.
If not . . .

#ifdef INTERESTED_IN_MH
MH itself is a complete package which supports MMDF (I&II), Sendmail,
SMTP, and UUCP message transfer agents.  From composing to sending mail,
MH has a variety of independent programs for processing mail messages.
It also provides support for POP (2&3), NNTP and Bulletin Boards.
It even has its own X interface (xmh - available in MIT contrib source).
You can get source from anonymous ftp at ics.uci.edu.  A newsgroup/mailing-
list is available for MH support (comp.mail.mh).
#endif

If you want more details, you (or anyone else) can mail me.
Eric W. Ziegast, University of Merryland, Engineering Computing Services
ziegast@eng.umd.edu - Eric@(301.405.3689)