[alt.sys.sun] cgsix problem

sberger@nmsu.edu ( Steve Berger ) (02/06/91)

We have a SUN 4  here with a cgsix video board.

When first booted, it comes up fine, the screen colors get
set to white on black.

After suntools is used, and exited, the screen enters a weird
mode.

It's sort of reverse video, it's white on black, but the space
bar whites things out as it goes along, creating white bars
and such.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there any way to fix it?

Steve Berger

Internet: sberger@nmsu.edu           Bitnet: sberger@nmsu.bitnet
UUCP:ucbvax!nmsu.edu!sberger         Box 3AT,NMSU,Las Cruces, NM 88003

barnick@acadia.Kodak.COM (William M Barnick x73638) (02/06/91)

In article <556@opus.NMSU.Edu> sberger@nmsu.edu ( Steve Berger ) writes:
>We have a SUN 4  here with a cgsix video board.
>
>When first booted, it comes up fine, the screen colors get
>set to white on black.
>
>After suntools is used, and exited, the screen enters a weird
>mode.
>
>It's sort of reverse video, it's white on black, but the space
>bar whites things out as it goes along, creating white bars
>and such.
>

>Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there any way to fix it?

It sort of sounds to me like you have a board newer than your OS.  The
cgsix seems to work best in a SparcStation2 running SunOS4.1.1.  We
once tried a cgsix in a SparcStation1+ with SunOS4.1 and had very
similar results to what you have described.

See Ya ...
WMB

cca04@seq1.keele.ac.uk (P.J. Mitchell) (02/06/91)

From article <556@opus.NMSU.Edu>, by sberger@nmsu.edu ( Steve Berger ):
> We have a SUN 4  here with a cgsix video board.
> After suntools is used, and exited, the screen enters a weird
> mode.
> It's sort of reverse video, it's white on black, but the space
> bar whites things out as it goes along, creating white bars
> and such.

We've got a Sun 3/80 with a cgsix in it (SunOS 4.0.3) and after using
suntools it invariably comes out as white on white...

A reset command typed at the console (invisibly) will cure this, whereas
clear_colormap doesn't.

And no, I don't know why either....
--
Paul Mitchell (CMA#136(18) MAG#65715 DoD#0145) | Physics Department,
JANET:  p.j.mitchell@uk.ac.keele.seq1          | Keele University, Keele,