[comp.dsp] Equations

halliday@cheddar.cc.ubc.ca (Laura Halliday) (09/23/89)

In article <668@suntops.Tops.Sun.COM> jisom@santa_fe.tops.sun.com (Jim Isom) writes:

>(much stuff deleted...)
>In a slightly different vein... does anyone have an idea for a way to share
>equations with a (hopefully large) group of net users?  One particular
>platform's graphics or typesetting would likely be out.  I'm thinking of
>postscript, but I have no idea of the spread of users that could use it.
>
>This concern has arisen before; DSP needs sigmas, limits, etc to even begin
>to say anything.  Ideas here?  Dr. Schafer?

I'm not Dr. Schafer, but I can certainly toss in my two cents' worth...

I, for one, would not be able to make much use of PostScript equations.
Though I have access to PostScript printers, it would be awkward to have
to print out selected bits of an article before I could follow the discussion.
Also, the size of an article with PostScript equations concerns me.

I might feel differently if I had a NeXT, or something else that spoke
PostScript and displayed it on the screen.

May I suggest TeX? TeX math mode, while still awkward, is somewhat more
transparent than PostScript, and just about everybody should be able to
use it in one way or another.

Comments?

...laura