[comp.dsp] display of equations

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (09/25/89)

In article <4593@amiga.UUCP> jimm@batgirl.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>I suggest we determine which is more common in the *subscribers*
>environments, and that this means more than whether there are backslashes
>in there.
>
>I expect that people might frequently print the equations out, esp.
>from the more useful postings.

But the *most* common use is still simply reading articles online. Even
the articles I save (several in this group so far), I'm not going to
print out. This is 1989...I work online! And despite working in a
relatively well equipped office with lots of modern workstations,
I don't have access to any software package which can put pretty printed
equations on my workstation displays.

(Also while it's gratifying to envision that people are going to immortalize
our postings in beautifully formatted laser printed postings to frame and
hang in their offices and admire endlessly. But that seductive vision is
mostly a mirage. It simply won't happen often enough to justify using
that as a basis for considering a standard equation format.)

There's only *one* common denominator, and that's plain text. Arguing
over, say, eqn vs. LaTeX in terms of readability makes sense. Arguing
over which is more commonly available does not. Neither one is "commonly"
available (as a percentage of readership).

If you really want to push this issue, your best bet is to find a way
to get an equation prettyprinter (for both display and printer) into
people's hands in a form they can use with news. It should initially
support plain ascii pretty printing (like Macsyma does for formulae),
plus optionally support for Suns, Apollos, NeXt (or more to the point,
X windows). Then work with the guys who distribute news software, and
get it incorporated into the next release of news. And hopefully into
the next release of 'less', also (my favorite display pager).

Eventually this would result in a reasonable percentage of the Unix
systems on the net having the ability to read news with equations
automatically pretty printed to the display. Note that even then, there'd
be gripes from all the Usenet folks on non-Unix systems (e.g. IBM
mainframes, DEC 10/20's, Mac's, Amiga's, PC's, etc), of which there are
a fairly large number. Porting the equation-reading news software to
some of these boxes would be a good idea, and it'd help, but there'll
always (well, for a long time) be those people who *still* don't have
it available.  So it'd *still* be necessary for the equations to be
*easily* readable without preprocessing.

This may sound pretty pessimistic. Don't get me wrong, I would very
much like to see this ability commonly available, and I would like to
see the above plan put into effect. I just think that there are severe
pragmatic limitations on what you can expect.

By the way, this is an issue very similar to that of internationalization.
It's currently a big deal with companies like e.g. Sun and AT&T to prepare
hardware and software systems that can deal effectively with non-English
languages (e.g. Japanese). Lots of work is being done in that area, and
sometime in the next few years you can expect to see a lot of systems
that can deal with Kanji, latin character diacriticals, etc. It would make
sense to integrate the issue of equation pretty printing; there are many
similar issues and many similar hw/sw requirements. Perhaps those of you
with an interest in display of equations could contact groups working on
internationalization and talk to them about meeting common goals.

Until then, it's easy to see there won't be a standard. Some people will
continue posting LaTex, others eqn, others plain text, etc. I'm tempted
to make a pitch for *preparing* for the eventual standard by making sure
that whatever we use is easily machine recognizable, like e.g. LaTeX.
But it is significantly less readable before preprocessing, and besides
which people who don't have access to it aren't likely to know it well
enough to use it in their postings anyway. Oh, well.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary