[comp.dsp] Digital Signal Processing

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (09/22/89)

As a long-time EE who was apparently asleep when DSP was first
bally-hoo'ed, I don't know where/how to begin learning about it.

Any suggestions?  Good beginner's book(s).  Good application note(s)?
Any "Educational Learner's Kits"?

HELP!
--
Myron A. Calhoun, PhD EE, W0PBV, (913) 532-6350 (work), 539-4448 (home).
INTERNET: mac@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu

dean@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Dean Swan) (09/22/89)

From article <0xe26@deimos.cis.ksu.edu>, by mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun):
 > As a long-time EE who was apparently asleep when DSP was first
 > bally-hoo'ed, I don't know where/how to begin learning about it.

  Musical Applications of Microprocessors, by Hal Chamberlin

  This book is a GREAT place to start.  It explains a lot of things like
  Digital Filters, Fourier Transforms, Homomorphic Analysis, and the like
  in fairly simple terms, and includes examples of a lot of the algrithms
  in BASIC.  It's a good place to start and deals with a lot of practical
  issues like CPU bandwidth, word length limitations, etc.

-Dean Swan
dean@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

gene@ntvax.uucp (Gene De Lisa) (10/03/89)

In article <0xe26@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) writes:
>As a long-time EE who was apparently asleep when DSP was first
>bally-hoo'ed, I don't know where/how to begin learning about it.
>Any suggestions?  Good beginner's book(s).  Good application note(s)?

my $.02 worth:
Robert Strum "1st principles of discrete systems and dsp"
addison -wesley1988

a dsp text that is actually readable.

--
Gene De Lisa