[comp.dsp] Some Good References

jj) (10/04/89)

After having read comp.dsp for a while, I thought I'd
post a list of some handy references.

For basic DSP:
	"Digital Signal Processing", by Oppenheim and Schafer,
ISBN0-13-214635-5
	"Discrete-Time Signal Processing", by Oppenheim and Schafer,
ISBN 0-13-216292-X
	"Digital Processing of Speech Signals", by Rabiner
and Schafer, ISBN 0-13-213603-1
	"Theory and Application of Digital Signal Processing",
by Rabiner and Gold, ISBN 0-13-914101-4

For interpolation/decimation:
	"Multirate Digital Signal Processing", by
Crochiere and Rabiner, ISBN (not in my office at the minute)

For coding, specialized processing:
	"Digital Coding of Waveforms", by Jayant and Noll,
ISBN 0-13-211913-7

Now, folks, there's been some incredible assertions made in
this newsgroup lately, I ask those making such assertions to
please consult a reference or two on the appropriate subject,
and examine your assertions.  I don't want to single out
any one particular person.  I'd use mail, but I'm
not paid to give net-courses on DSP, and I don't think
my employers would approve of me spending the time
on it.

--
To the Lords of   *Mail to jj@alice.att.com  or alice!jj
Convention        *HASA, Atheist Curmudgeon Division

larryh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Larry Hutchinson) (10/04/89)

In article <9992@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP (alice!jj) writes:
>After having read comp.dsp for a while, I thought I'd
>post a list of some handy references.

I'd like to recommend:

Handbook of Digital Signal Processing - Engineering Applications,
Academic Press,?.?. Elliott ed., 1987

This is from memory and may not be 100% accurate (especially the spelling).

And of course:
Programs for Digital Signal Processing,IEEE Press, 1979
(distributed by John Wiley & Sons)

Larry Hutchinson, Tektronix, Inc. PO Box 500, MS 50-383, Beaverton, OR 97077
UUCP:   [uunet|ucbvax|decvax|hplabs]!tektronix!tekgvs!larryh
ARPA:   larryh%tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM@RELAY.CS.NET
CSNet:  larryh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM

edhall@rand.org (Ed Hall) (10/05/89)

In article <9992@alice.UUCP>, jj@alice.UUCP (alice!jj) writes:
> . . . .
> For interpolation/decimation:
> 	"Multirate Digital Signal Processing", by
> Crochiere and Rabiner, ISBN (not in my office at the minute)

ISBN 0-13-605162-6  (Prentice-Hall 1983)

A wonderful book for those with the background who want to understand
why 99% of various ``claims'' and ``explanations'' of oversampling
you'll read in the popular audio press (and on the net) arn't worth
the paper (or pixels) they're written on.  But if you don't know what
a Z transform is (for instance) you'll have to bone up elsewhere.

(Thanks, jj, for suggesting this book to me in the first place.)

		-Ed Hall
		edhall@rand.org