[comp.dsp] dsp boards in suns

rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) (10/19/89)

Note: This is a repost--but I never saw the original make it to the network,
	and I received 0 responses.
Apologies if you're reading it for a second time.

I am looking for information on dsp accelerator boards that plug into sun
3/xxx or SPARC systems.  I want to know
	1. Names of Companies (and phone #'s, if possible)
	2. DSP chips the boards are based on.
	3. How the user interface is set up.
I am especially interested in companies using Weitek's 8000 series chips.

	Thanks for any help you can provide.
		-Rob

robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Bob Robison) (10/19/89)

In article <1575@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rkc@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (rkc) writes:

>I am looking for information on dsp accelerator boards that plug into sun
>3/xxx or SPARC systems.  I want to know
>	1. Names of Companies (and phone #'s, if possible)
>	2. DSP chips the boards are based on.
>	3. How the user interface is set up.
>I am especially interested in companies using Weitek's 8000 series chips.

Well, I'm not sure if this would count as an accelerator but Valley
Enterprises (717) 668-3737 (Tamaqua, PA) makes a VME board with four
DSP-32C chips on board.  They supply development software for the SUN
in the form of C compiler, assembler, and linker.  They also have a small
applications library.  The board ranges in price from about 6K to 12K
depending on the number of AT&T DSP32C chips and the amount of RAM.
Software is about $3000 for a full complement.  I have not used the board
but we expect to order it once our capital equipment monies have become
available :-).

The only other DSP board I've seen for the SUN is a version of the SKY
Challenger which is TMS32020 based.  I have used this and it is OK, but
I wasn't overly impressed.

Hope this helps,
bob
----

--
Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
robison@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu

jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jeremy Maris) (10/27/89)

        Loughborough Sound Images products

LSI (+44 509 231843) have a  DSP56001 VME board for the Sun.

It provides two 16bit channels of A/D and D/A conversion, 8Kwords of program
RAM and 16Kwords of data RAM. They provide source for drivers and use Motorola
cross development software.
At present, software support is for a single user on a Sun 3 workstation.
 Cost: L.3495

Contact Keith Ahluwalia for more details
Jeremy Maris,Experimental Psychology,University of Sussex,Brighton,England.
Janet: jeremym@uk.ac.sussex.syma  Nsfnet: jeremym@syma.sussex.ac.uk
Bitnet: jeremym%sussex.syma@ukacrl.bitnet Usenet: ...mcvax!ukc!epvax!jeremym