[fa.info-vax] Mailing under ULTRIX as compared to UNIX

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/04/85)

From: Marshall Abrams <abrams@mitre>

After uncountable years using msg and sndmsg on UNIX and similar products
on TENEX, I am about to be switched to mail on ULTRIX. On first glance, I
am traumatized!! In particular, I note a lack of forward and redirect
commands, both of which I use frequently.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated. Since I'm not a member of
these lists, please reply directly.

Thanks,
Marshall Abrams

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/05/85)

From: rad@Mitre-Bedford

>After uncountable years using msg and sndmsg on UNIX and similar products
>on TENEX, I am about to be switched to mail on ULTRIX. On first glance, I
>am traumatized!! In particular, I note a lack of forward and redirect
>commands, both of which I use frequently.

  Don't blame Ultrix, or even bsd4.2 on which it is based.  The
programs that you're used to using may be part of the Rand MH package.
On the 4.2 distro tape, MH is part of the contributed software
(/usr/src/contrib ?).  Have your system programmers install MH, and
you should be happy.

Dick Dramstad
rad@mitre-bedford

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/05/85)

From: medin@ucbarpa (Milo Medin)

I don't know about ULTRIX, but 4.2 BSD (from which ULTRIX is
supposed to be derived, in fact its binary compatible with 4.2)
has all that and more, and several mail utilities have been written
for it.  I am surprised that DEC wouldn't put it in their distribution.

					Milo

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/05/85)

From: Mike O'Brien <obrien@CSNET-SH.ARPA>

	A general word of warning: the version of MH on the 4.2 distribution,
and therefore (presumably) the one included with ULTRIX, is very old
and very buggy.  I strongly suggest getting the version of MH known as
MH.5, which is now being put together by Marshall Rose, late of U. C.
Irvine and now of U. of Delaware.