[comp.dsp] 1 Bit D to A Revisited

zawada@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Paul J Zawada) (11/21/89)

A day or two ago, I heard another one bit D-to-A algorithm from a
strictly unreliable source.  (A musician friend of mine.)  Since
1 bit D-to-A was a recent topic, I thought I'd share this one with
with the net.  He claims this new revolutionary algorithm uses one
bit to tell whether the output voltage should be incremented or
decremented from its current state.  i.e. Voltages are not quantisized
by binary words.  If the bit is a zero the exsisting voltage will be
say, decremented by a given value.  If the bit is a one, the voltage
will be incremented by the same value.  (I don't know if actually
0=decrement and 1=increment, but you get the idea.)

Now I'm only an undergrad in EE and I haven't studied dsp much, but
I cannot see how to actually implement this.  I see a few problems.

1.  What do you do if the voltage stays the same? Would you just
go ahead and decrement or increment and hope that it doesn't screw
you up in the longrun?

2.  How fast would you take these one bit samples?  I don't suppose
the Nyquist sampling theorem would still hold since you are no longer
just dealing with a voltage level.  Take, for example a high frequency
signal with a large amplitude.  This causes a large jump in your output
voltage (jump >> increment value).  You will need a number of samples
to reflect such a jump.  Conversely, if you are sampling at a very high
rate, you will run into problem #1 with low frequency signals...You will
have points at which the voltage doesn't change.

I can see an advantage however.  This algorithm, coupled with a very
small increment/decrement voltage, can allow for very high resolution
which is not available with a standard 16 or even 32 bit D-to-A conversion.
(But then again, you need a high sampling rate for high frequency signals,
which can lead to problems with the amount of available memory..)

Would anybody else like to comment?

pjz...

Paul J Zawada				|   zawada@ee.ecn.purdue.edu
"E-site" Student Consultant		|  ...!pur-ee!ei.ecn.purdue.edu!zawada
Purdue University			|
Engineering Computer Network		|    GO BOILERS!!!

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (11/21/89)

zawada@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Paul J Zawada) writes:

>A day or two ago, I heard another one bit D-to-A algorithm from a
>strictly unreliable source.  (A musician friend of mine.)  Since
>1 bit D-to-A was a recent topic, I thought I'd share this one with
>with the net.  He claims this new revolutionary algorithm uses one
>bit to tell whether the output voltage should be incremented or
>decremented from its current state.

Sounds like a delta modulator (not new).

>Now I'm only an undergrad in EE and I haven't studied dsp much, but
>I cannot see how to actually implement this.  I see a few problems.

Input voltage is tracked on a capacitor.  Capacitor voltage is compared
to input.  Comparator output dumps fixed current on/off the capacitor.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

aurie@rhea.trl.oz.au (Alistair Urie - Radio and Satellite Networks) (11/21/89)

In article <8911201702.AA03844@en.ecn.purdue.edu> zawada@EN.ECN.PURDUE.EDU (Paul J Zawada) writes:

>A day or two ago, I heard another one bit D-to-A algorithm from a
>strictly unreliable source.  (A musician friend of mine.)  Since
>1 bit D-to-A was a recent topic, I thought I'd share this one with
>with the net.  He claims this new revolutionary algorithm uses one
>bit to tell whether the output voltage should be incremented or
>decremented from its current state.  i.e. Voltages are not quantisized

But this is good old delta modulation, one of the very first digital modulation
systems invented.

It works quite well provided you choose a bit rate that is high enough to
handle the highest expected slope in the input signal.

By the way I understand that NASA used it back in the Apollo days as the last
ditch communications system - the last few minutes before complete comms
blackout during re-entry.

Alistair URIE                                     Radio and Satellite Networks
Phone:   +61 3 541 6370                           Telecom Research Laboratories
Fax:     +61 3 543 3339                           770 Blackburn Rd. Clayton Vic
Internet: aurie@rhea.trl.oz.au                                        AUSTRALIA

sheppard@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Roger Sheppard) (11/22/89)

Yes this sounds like delta modulation but that is not new. The only recent
anouncement that concerns a 1 bit D/A is from Phillips addressing the
problem of costly and inaccurate 16/18 + D/A's on low level signals
in CD players. They claim that by drastically oversampling at x256 they
convert the parallel words to an 11.3MHz bit stream that represents a
"pulse density modulation" that is similar to delta modulation in that
it pumps up and down a filter. The rf components can be removed by gentle
filtering because there is a wide frequency difference between the information
and the data rate. Also adverse effects on the phase of inband signals are
minimized. Since only two states are needed to go up or down a simple 1 bit
D/A can be used and the filter designed with switched capacitor technology.
Using VLSI, two chips can do the servo control, digital detection, correction,
interpolation, oversampling, and D/A conversion for a fraction of the cost
of todays players while maintaining the same S/N and better low level
linearity.

cbm@well.UUCP (Chris Muir) (11/22/89)

Isn't a 1 bit D/A just a delta modulator? There have a few products
based on delta mod in the pro music field, most notably the TC2900 delay
line. It samples at 100Mhz (so they claim). It DOES sound wonderful.

Chris Muir                             |   "There is no language in our lungs
{hplabs,pacbell,ucbvax,apple}          |    to tell the world just how we feel"
!well!cbm                              |                         - A. Partridge

bryan@intvax.UUCP (Jon R Bryan) (11/23/89)

From article <7070002@hpnmdla.HP.COM>, by sheppard@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Roger Sheppard):
> Yes this sounds like delta modulation but that is not new. The only recent
> anouncement that concerns a 1 bit D/A is from Phillips addressing the

Crystal Semiconductor in Austin, (512) 445 7222, manufactures several
very interesting A/D converters, in case anyone is interested.  One is a
two-channel 16-bit Delta Sigma converter designed specifically for
digital audio.  Very nice parts, and I believe they go for around $100
quantity one.  The "sample and holds," anti-aliasing and decimation
filtersand voltage reference are all built in (28-pin package).

--
Jon R. Bryan	<=>	bryan@intvax.UUCP
Sandia National Laboratories

legrady@ug.cs.dal.ca (Tom Legrady) (11/23/89)

This general family of conversions is known as Delta Modulation. As Paul Zawada
says, you use a single bit to indicate whether the output should be incremented
or decremented.  The nice thing about the method is the simplicity of the
conversions:

	On A->D, if the analog signal is greater (less than) the reference,
	then output a 1 (0) and increment (decrement) the value of the
	reference before the next sampling.

	On D->A, if the input is 1 (0), then increment (decrement) the
	counter and send the result to the DAC.

If the signal has not changed at all, the result is least significant bit
jitter as the reference signal goes just above, then just below the actual
input.

As you can see, this method eliminates successive aproximation loops and other
complications. For the method to be successful, it is essential that the
change in the signal be very small between samples. Normally this means
that the sampling rate is much higher than with SA or flash conversion
techniques.

An ordinary converter at 44 KHz could change from one extreme value to the
other from one sample to the next.  This occurs only on the edge of Nyquists
limit, and the presence of such changes makes it likely that signals over the
limit could occur. Usually, signals change in an orderly manner.  If that
converter wasa 16 bit SA converter, the A->D was actually operating at about
 .7Mhz.  A DM converter at .7Mhz could, in the same interval, only change by
 16 samples. For a full-scale triangle wave input, the maximum frequency which
 can be followed is 10 Hz.

Usually, the situation is much better, but this inefficiency is one of the
reasons for the developement of Adaptive Delta Modulation techniqes.
Essentially, these are two-bit converters: one bit says whether the value
should be increased or decreased, and the other says whether the size of the
increment should be increased or decreased.

Thus while the basic DM degenerates to a ramp, the ADM degenerates to something
closer to successive approximation.  With these variations, the joints benefits
of (relatively) simple one stage converters and decreased data storage
requirements are obtained.  If you want to process the music, as in a
synthesizer or effects box, you're better off with parallel techniques. If your
application calls for the storage of data in compressed form, and especially
if your medium is serial to start with ADM type methods are ideal.  That's
why it was used in (I think it was the ..) DBX 700, an Industrial quality
digital audio system which stored stereo audio of very high quality on a
consumer Beta or VHS video tape, disguised as a video signal.

dean@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Dean Swan) (11/23/89)

From article <7070002@hpnmdla.HP.COM>, by sheppard@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Roger Sheppard):
 > anouncement that concerns a 1 bit D/A is from Phillips addressing the
 > problem of costly and inaccurate 16/18 + D/A's on low level signals
 > in CD players. They claim that by drastically oversampling at x256 they
 > convert the parallel words to an 11.3MHz bit stream that represents a
 > "pulse density modulation" that is similar to delta modulation in that
 > it pumps up and down a filter. The rf components can be removed by gentle
 > filtering because there is a wide frequency difference between the information
 > and the data rate. Also adverse effects on the phase of inband signals are
 > minimized. Since only two states are needed to go up or down a simple 1 bit
 > D/A can be used and the filter designed with switched capacitor technology.

 This technique is also not entirely new.  As I posted a while back, when
this thread started, The General Instruments SP0256 speech synthesizer
chip has used this technique of D to A conversion for 5 or 6 years now.

-Dean Swan
dean@sun.soe.clarkson.edu

ingoldsb@ctycal.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) (12/05/89)

Which models and brands of CD players are using the single bit,
heavily oversampled technology?  I saw in our local newspaper that
several vendors are pursuing this technique.  True?

It would seem to me that the single bit technology would be a good
cost saving measure, since the tolerances in the D/A circuitry
would not have to be as precise as with an 18 bit D/A.  Does this
mean I can expect single bit technology on the low end players soon?

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                       ctycal!ingoldsb@calgary.UUCP
  Land Information Systems                           or