[fa.info-vax] Real-time/clusters

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/09/85)

From: MSE20800%TIMEVX%CITHEX@lbl.arpa

Date:     Wed, 9 Jan 85 10:43:41 PST
From:     mse20800 (ewing, martin s.) @ timevx
Subject:  Real-time/clusters
To:       INFO-VAX @ SRI-CSL.ARPA

I am new to info-vax, and a little overwhelmed.  However, I have a real
question:

How many have used Clusters, and how many have attempted real-time work
with Clusters?  We are planning a system that might benefit from using
clustered disks and tape.  One VAX would run in a pretty strict real-time
regimen controlling a hardware processor, and one would run in a more lax
manner massaging output data on its way to tape.

The problem is possible contention slowing the real-time machine.  Would
anyone offer an opinion?  Is it realistic to put any system files out on
the cluster?

Thanks for your attention.

Martin S. Ewing ( MSE @ CALTECH.ARPA)
Caltech 105-24