[comp.dsp] image processing texts

ead@cup.portal.com (Eric De Mund) (02/09/90)

dear comp.graphics and comp.dsp,

i'm soliciting recommendations for favorite image processing texts.
i'm working on an image processing project involving image filtering
and segmentation, and the only book i have is rosenfeld and kak's,
digital picture processing, second edition.

what are other good texts i should be reading?

thanks,
eric

----
eric de mund
ead@cup.portal.com
...!{apple,claris,mips,sun,uunet,attctc}!portal!cup.portal.com!ead

ashok@atrp.mit.edu (Ashok C. Popat) (02/10/90)

In article <26751@cup.portal.com> ead@cup.portal.com (Eric De Mund) writes:
>dear comp.graphics and comp.dsp,
>
>i'm soliciting recommendations for favorite image processing texts.
>i'm working on an image processing project involving image filtering
>and segmentation, and the only book i have is rosenfeld and kak's,
>digital picture processing, second edition.
>
>what are other good texts i should be reading?

I'm posting rather than mailing since this might be of general interest.

A new book:

Jae S. Lim, _Two_Dimensiona_Signal_and_Image_Processing_,
Prentice Hall, 1990

is comprehensive and up-to-date.

Professor Lim is well known at MIT for his outstanding teaching ability
(he has won several teaching awards); this ability comes through in the
book.

Ashok Chhabedia Popat  MIT Rm. 36-665  (617) 253-7302

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (02/11/90)

In article <26751@cup.portal.com> ead@cup.portal.com (Eric De Mund) writes:

>i'm soliciting recommendations for favorite image processing texts.
>i'm working on an image processing project involving image filtering
>and segmentation, and the only book i have is rosenfeld and kak's,
>digital picture processing, second edition.

"Introduction to Fourier Optics" -- J.W. Goodman, McGraw Hill, 1968
	An excellent and fairly rigorous treatment of the mathematics,
	balanced with a good number of diagrams and photographs. Much
	of this is pure, but the applied part of it naturally concentrates
	on holographic processing. I don't find it at all dated,
	because these are all pretty basic issues.

"Optical Information Processing -- Optical Signal Processing, Fourier Optics"
	Francis T.S. Yu, Wiley Interscience, 1983
	Good mathematical coverage, with far more applied material
	than the Goodman text. This is again holography oriented,
	nothing digital.

"Multidimensional Digital Signal Processing" D.E. Dudgeon, R. M. Mersereau
	Prentice Hall, 1984
	The classic text. Excellent coverage. Details the unique
	problems faced in N-dimensional DSP that do not arise in
	1 dimensional DSP, along with thorough general coverage.

"Array Signal Processing", S. Haykin, ed. Prentice Hall, 1985
	This covers a lot of ground; chapters are:
		1. Introduction
		2. Array Processing in Exploration Seismology
		3. Sonar Array Processing
		4. Radar Array Procesing for Angle of Arrival Estimation
		5. Image Reconstruction in Synthesis Radio Telescope Arrays
		6. Tomographic Imaging w/ Diffracting & Nondiffracting Sources

	As you can see, it covers a number of application areas that
	are rarely dealt with in introductory texts.

"Waveforms -- A Modern Guide to Nonsinusoidal Waves & Nonlinear Processes"
	H.B. Tilton, Prentice Hall, 1986
	Although this mostly deals with 1 dimensional functions, still
	it is the only overview of discontinuous signal processing
	(relaxation analysis) that I've seen. It fills in the gaps
	that are pretty much ignored by other DSP & mathematical texts.
	It introduces the Dirac Delta function early on and treats, for
	instance, the derivative and integral of e.g. sawtooth waveforms. And
	is quite readable. The two chapters on 2, 3 & 4 dimensional waveforms
	do not bear directly on image processing but may provide an
	interesting different approach to things than is given by Fourier
	analysis.

There are some good books that also cover "digital darkroom" types of
image processing, but I don't have them handy to cite. Many people
tend to avoid detailed discussions of continuous Fourier optics such as
are covered in my first two suggestions, which I think is a mistake,
because the issues involved are quite universal and form a good basis of
understanding for the DSP issues.

I'm still looking for a good treatment of Walsh functions/analysis (any
suggestions?)
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (02/12/90)

In article <26751@cup.portal.com> ead@cup.portal.com (Eric De Mund) writes:

|i'm soliciting recommendations for favorite image processing texts.
|i'm working on an image processing project involving image filtering
|and segmentation, and the only book i have is rosenfeld and kak's,
|digital picture processing, second edition.
|
|what are other good texts i should be reading?

	Hall, Computer Image Processing and Recognition,
	  Academic Press, 1979

	Pavlidis, Algorithms for Graphics & Image Processing,
	  Computer Science Press, 1982

	Gonzales & Wintz, Digital Image Processing, 2nd Ed.,
	  Addison-Wesley, 1987

	Samet, Applications of Spatial Data Structures,
	  Addison-Wesley, 1990

--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu