[comp.dsp] source for dsp56000

garyb@iotek.UUCP (Gary Burrell) (06/02/90)

Does any one out there know what a reasonable price for a DSP 56000 is?
I was quoted $195 canadian, this seems unreasonably high.  Is it just
the distributer screwing the customer for a part which is not used alot
or is  Motorola out to lunch on their pricing ( since TI has anounced a
C31 floating point DSP for $35 U.S.)

Does anybody know where I can get these in canada for a reasonable price.

Please reply via email to Garyb@iotek.uucp

			<<<<<<******>>>>>>
Gary R. Burrell, Iotek Inc,     |*| E-Mail: garyb@iotek.uucp	|*|
1127 Barrington St., Suite 100, |*| Fax:    (902)420-0674	|*|
Halifax, N.S., B3H 2P8, Canada  |*| Phone:  (902)420-1890	|*|

Damm it Jim
  I'm a Doctor not a Computer Scientist!

             *************************************

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (06/05/90)

In article <594@mercury.iotek.UUCP> garyb@iotek.UUCP (Gary Burrell) writes:
>Does any one out there know what a reasonable price for a DSP 56000 is?
>I was quoted $195 canadian, this seems unreasonably high.  Is it just
>the distributer screwing the customer for a part which is not used alot
>or is  Motorola out to lunch on their pricing ( since TI has anounced a
>C31 floating point DSP for $35 U.S.)

This is not necessarily unreasonable.  The going rate in the US for the 27 MHz
PGA seems to be about $150 in single quantities.  On the other hand, large
quantities of cheaper packages (the ceramic PGA is very expensive as packages
go) can be had for a lot less (~$50).

As far as the $35 TI part, be careful.  They are probably quoting the 1000
piece price for the lowest speed part in the cheapest package, and you can
expect other quanitites and configurations to cost more.  (BTW, all vendors do
this, so I'm not trying to slam TI.)
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill

harrison@sunwhere.DAB.GE.COM (Gregory Harrison) (06/07/90)

In article <5841@videovax.tv.tek.com> bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) writes:

>As far as the $35 TI part, be careful.  They are probably quoting the 1000
>piece price for the lowest speed part in the cheapest package, and you can

The $35 TI part is the TMS320C31, which comes in 33.3 MHz and 27 MHz versions.
The package is a 132 PQFP, versus a 181 CPGA for the 'C31.  PQFP=
plastic quad flat pack, CPGA = Ceramic Pin Grid Array.

The $35 is for the TMS320C31-27  which is the 27 Mhz version in the PQFP
package.  (in large quantities, as per the TI FYI  Vol. 7 issue 4 May 1990.

The 'C31 function are the same as the 'C30 except that it only has 1 32 bit
databus, 1 serial port, and 1 timer.

I've been designing with the 'C30, and it certainly is an awesome chip.
Big iron in a small package.  Not only is it a great signal processor, but
it has a fine complement of general purpose computer instructions to
allow it to perform system control.

Greg Harrison

GE