[net.followup] nuke net.general?

chip@t4test.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (07/04/84)

=== REFERENCED ARTICLE =============================================

From: mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton)

At the Usenet BOF, the proposal was made to get rid of net.general.

We can either keep net.followup for followup discussions to net.general,
or nuke it as well, depending on the sentiment of the net.

Both should be nuked.  That way we can stop postings like:

    Newsgroups: net.followup,net.unix,net.misc,net.general,net.foobar

Okay, maybe I exaggerate a bit, but I claim two things are true:

    1)  There is almost always a better place for followup discussion
        than net.followup.  93% of the time it is net.wanted :-)

    2)  Net.general articles which get discussed in net.followup
	invariably spill over into some more specific (and
	appropriate) newsgroup.  Unfortunately this does little
	more than create multiple postings like the example above.

Let's get rid of net.general and net.followup.  Use net.announce as
net.general was intended (only moderated this time), and force
followup discussions to the appropriate groups.

The only problem I see with this whole scheme is that we then lose
the trashbucket to put stuff when you don't know where else to put
it.  Maybe net.wobegon can be used to pick up the slack there.....

--
Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{idi|intelca|icalqa|imcgpe|kremvax|qubix|ucscc}!t4test!{chip|news}