[fa.info-vax] DISKQUOTA file format

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/10/85)

From: FRISBIE@MIT-CBGVAX

Is the Diskquota file format described anywhere?  I
If not, do any of you know what it is?

Thanks,
Joe

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/12/85)

From: SRW69053%TIMEVX%CITHEX@lbl.arpa

Date:     Fri, 11 Jan 85 14:03:50 PST
From:     srw69053 (walton, stephen r.) @ timevx
Subject:  DISKQUOTA file format
To:       FRISBIE @ MIT-CBGVAX.ARPA
cc:       INFO-VAX @ SRI-CSL.ARPA

(This is probably the 1000th reply to this topic.)  The format of the
QUOTA.SYS file's records is described in the I/O User's Guide, Volume 1,
pages 2-31 thru 2-34 (VMS Version 3.n).  The file itself can be accessed
from high-level languages as a file with fixed-length 32-byte records;
I have a small program for adaptive changing of people's quotas which
reads the file as a Fortran direct-access file.  This is easier than Macro,
but has the disadvantage that the contents of QUOTA.SYS are only updated
when the file is accessed by the IO$_ACPCONTROL function from MACRO-32.
In other words, if you open QUOTA.SYS from a Fortran program, the data
in it will be valid only as of the last time someone manipulated the
quotas on that disk via either the DISKQUOTA utility or the SHOW QUOTA
DCL command.  I finnessed this problem by running DISKQUOTA just before
my program with the command SHOW [*,*].

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/12/85)

From: "Stephen Tihor" <TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>

Also remember when reading the file directly that the ACP/XQP has a
quota cache which must be disabled if quotas are enabled on your disk
and or you run the risk of missing something that's currently being
modified in the cache.

 \\   Stephen Tihor / CIMS / NYU / 251 Mercer Street  / New York, NY 10012  //
((  DEC Enet: RHEA::DECWRL::"""TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA"""  NYUnet: TIHOR.CMCL1  ))
 // ARPAnet: Tihor@NYU-CMCL1   UUCPnet address: ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!cmcl1!tihor \\

-------