[comp.dsp] Speech Recognition help wanted

b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) (08/21/90)

Hi there.

I'm looking for information on speech recognition chips. Could any of you
give me some pointers on references ?

In particular, one question has been interesting me : How do s.r chips
react to voice in an environment with background noise, for example an
office with other people talking. Can a typical chip recognise its
programmed keywords from among the extraneous voices ? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

bjh, University College Dublin     "There's no future in time travel"

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) (08/23/90)

In <6698.26d02a31@ccvax.ucd.ie> b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) writes:

>Hi there.

>I'm looking for information on speech recognition chips. Could any of you
>give me some pointers on references ?

A couple of years ago BYTE Magazine (when it was still usefull) had an
article or two by Steve Ciarcia on a speech recognition system based on
a chip made by General Instruments (I think). It was called something
like SP256. The interesting thing about this chip is that it is
advertised as being a speech synthesis chip.

Need more? Throw some e-mail at me. I'll look it up.

--
| Josef Moellers		|	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG	|
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixbur.uucp	|	Abt. PXD-S14		|

sandell@ils.nwu.edu (Greg Sandell) (08/27/90)

writes:

> >Hi there.
>
> >I'm looking for information on speech recognition chips. Could any of you
> >give me some pointers on references ?

The latest issue of IEEE COMPUTER is devoted to speech recognition.

* Greg Sandell (sandell@ils.nwu.edu)              Evanston, IL *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) (08/28/90)

In article <josef.651409568@peun11> josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:
>In <6698.26d02a31@ccvax.ucd.ie> b_haughey@ccvax.ucd.ie (Brian J Haughey) writes:
>>I'm looking for information on speech recognition chips. Could any of you
>>give me some pointers on references ?
>
>A couple of years ago BYTE Magazine (when it was still usefull) had an
>article or two by Steve Ciarcia on a speech recognition system based on
>a chip made by General Instruments (I think). It was called something
>like SP256. The interesting thing about this chip is that it is
>advertised as being a speech synthesis chip.

The chip you're thinking of is the General Instruments SP-1000,
which does LPC (linear predictive coding) analyis and synthesis.
GI had application notes for speech recognition.

The LPC filter they used was configured differently for analysis than
for synthesis, so you can't use the chip to record then play back a
sound.  It seemed somewhat brain-dead to me.  It had the advantage of
being cheap enough to put in consumer products, although I'm not sure
that anyone ever did so.

The BYTE article described a board for the Apple II which used this
chip.  The board was available from MicroMint (sp?).  If anyone wants
some of these chips, I've got some I could sell.

It probably makes more sense to use a DSP chip for speech recognition
now.  Motorola has some LPC software on their bulletin board.

--
Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

beattie@mtg (Grant P. Beattie) (08/29/90)

josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:

> A couple of years ago BYTE Magazine (when it was still usefull) had an

     You can say that again.

Grant Beattie            |  "I still believe in God, but God no longer
Music Technologies Group |   believes in me"
Edmonton, AB             |                   Wayne Hussy

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (08/29/90)

In article <ESMITH.90Aug27111400@goofy.apple.com>, esmith@goofy (Eric Smith) writes:
>It probably makes more sense to use a DSP chip for speech recognition
>now.  Motorola has some LPC software on their bulletin board.

Is there any other freely available speech-recognition software ?  How
about anything for speech generation or music generation ?

I'm considering to build a scsi-connected DSP board to my pc532
machine and would like to make it handle incoming telephone messages
with some voice/dtmf input and speech output capabilities.

//Jyrki

Jyrki Kuoppala    Helsinki University of Technology, Finland.
Internet :        jkp@cs.hut.fi           [130.233.251.253]
X400 :            /C=fi/A=fumail/P=inet/O=hut/OU=cs/S=Kuoppala/G=Jyrki
BITNET :          jkp@fingate.bitnet      Gravity is a myth, the Earth sucks!

root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) (09/05/90)

beattie@mtg (Grant P. Beattie) writes:

>josef@nixpbe.UUCP (Moellers) writes:
>>
>> A couple of years ago BYTE Magazine (when it was still usefull) had an

>     You can say that again.

I completely agree with you guys.
--
Arrigo Benedetti                      | USENET:  root@pubit.sublink.ORG
Via S.Agata 11, 41100 Modena - Italy  | BANG:    ..!rutgers!deejay!gear!pubit