[comp.dsp] Kaiser Window Design

steele@en.ecn.purdue.edu@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Richard A. Steele) (11/18/90)

In article <9360014@hplsla.HP.COM> bryanh@hplsla.HP.COM (Bryan Hoog) writes:

>   In a college DSP class (YEARS ago!), we used this method, and, then
> (I think; this is where my memory gets hazy) we weighted the resulting
> coefficients with a Hamming window.  I remember the teacher saying
> something like "A Hamming window usually works best", but couldn't explain
> what was so "magic" about the Hamming window for FIR filter design.
>
>   -Bryan

I've done something similar, except with a Kaiser window instead
of the Hamming; the effect is similar, as both methods are
quite easy to do.

See, for example, Oppenheim and Schafer "Discrete Time Signal
Processing" pages 444-462.

I believe the Parks-McClellan algorithm is more optimal, but it
is more difficult to implement (I think; my memory is fuzzing).

Richard Steele          |  INTERNET : steele@ecn.purdue.edu
Electrical Engineering  |  BITNET   : steele%ecn.purdue.edu@purccvm
Purdue University       |  UUCP     : {purdue, pur-ee}!ecn.purdue.edu!steele