[comp.dsp] Windowing

cfreese@super.ORG (Craig F. Reese) (12/06/90)

In article <18034@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:

>            Various windows are available, each with benefits and drawbacks
>of their own.  Theoretically, it should give you better performance than just
>a straight ramp-up ramp-down technique.

>        If somebody wants me to, I'll look up a couple of different types
>of windows at work tomorrow and post the formulas used to this newsgroup.
>The functions can be easily plotted using a spreadsheet or other program
>and you can see for yourself just exactly how each window looks.

Those who are interested in windowing might want to take a look
at the following paper.

    "On the Use of Windows for Harmonic Analysis with the Discrete
     Fourier Transform," Harris, Fredric J., Proceedings of the IEEE
     Vol 66, No.1, January 1978.

It discusses the reasons for windowing, and the effects of different types
of windows (Rectangle, Triangle, Hanning, Poisson, Blackman, Kaiser, etc...
to name a few of the more familiar).

I used this many^3 years ago so it may be dated.  If anyone knows of
a contemporary version that includes some "discoveries" in the last 20
years please post a reference.

craig

*** The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect
*** those of any other land dwelling mammals, or management....
-----------------
Craig F. Reese                           Email: cfreese@super.org
Institute for Defense Analyses/
Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Dr.
Bowie, MD  20715-4300

robison@rocke.electro.swri.edu (Bob Robison) (12/06/90)

Speaking of windows....
	Has anyone ever heard of a "Shiva" window??

enquiring minds want to know.

bob

--
Bob Robison	- Southwest Research Institute, Electromagnetics Div.
brobison@swri.edu