[comp.dsp] DSP boards for PCs

jaervinen@bhajee.enet.dec.com (the Old Rural Amateur) (01/08/91)

   I've been trying to ask in other places (like rec.ham-radio and some
   of our internal conferences) until I realized there's a DSP
   newsgroup... stupid me.

   I've been planning to try out some DSP stuff for ham radio / SWL
   applications for quite some time. I haven't done anything before - I do
   have some (?) theoretical background (a degree in EE) but have been a
   pure SW type for the past umpteen years...

   Anyway, my main question is, where (and for how much $$$) could I get
   a DSP board for a PC? For my specific purposes, sampling rates in the
   order of 10 kHz are sufficient (even lower for some applications),
   and 8 bit samples should be quite enough.

   What DSP chips are popular nowadays? (Mostly I hear of the 320
   series). How does a typical board for a PC look like (how much
   memory, and how much should I be looking for)?

   As my theory has grown a bit rusty, I'd also appreciate pointers to
   good literature (textbooks for digital filter design, manufacturers
   application books etc.). The applications I have in mind involve
   detection of noisy FSK signals received by radio (data, FAX etc.).
   I could think of zillions of other applications in this area too...

phil@east.Berkeley.EDU (Phil Lapsley) (01/09/91)

jaervinen@bhajee.enet.dec.com asks about PC based DSP boards.  Lots of
companies make these.  The one that I'm the most familiar with is the
PC-56 from Ariel Corp.  It's a DSP56000 (the Motorola DSP chip) with
with 16K or 64K words of memory and optional analog I/O (single channel,
14 bit A/D and D/A, with variable sampling rate up to 20 kHz or so).
The cost is between $500 and $700 (I think) depending on how much memory
you get and whether you want the analog I/O chip.  It's a pretty good
starter board for somebody interested in learning about DSP and the 56k.
Ariel's telephone number is (908) 249-2900.

Like I said, though, there are lots of other companies that make DSP
boards for the PC.  If you're a digital hardware hacker, you could
also build your own.

Phil Lapsley		phil@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU	...!ucbvax!phil

gingell@aurs01.UUCP (Mike Gingell) (01/09/91)

Although not an internal DSP board for a PC there is a very interesting
unit available from L L Grace. It looks and functions like an external
modem to a PC but it contains a Motorola DSP56000 and a V40 coprocessor
with 1 Meg of memory. It has programmable A/D and D/A with variable
pre and post filters allowing sample rates up to 100 kHz. It also has
three separate slelectable analog I/O channels and comes with algorithms
built in for packet radio (300-9600 baud), CW (morse code), RTTY plus
more to come in free upgrades (such as WEFAX, NAVTEX, AMTOR, SITOR,
SSTV).  They have an "open programming architecture" which means the
user can add their own code. Base price is $595.

I have no vested interested in the company except as a potential user.
I have ordered one and will report on results when I get it going.

Mike Gingell   aurs01!aurw90!gingell@mcnc.org

granroth@iowasp.physics.uiowa.edu (Larry Granroth) (01/10/91)

(I've just started following this group . . .)

We have an application where we would like to digitize two simultaneous
data streams with 8-bit resolution at 100kHz sampling rate, plus one or
two auxiliary channels at 4-bit resolution at the same rate.
This needs to be done continuously for about two hours at a time, so
we need to output to a device that will accept that sustained data rate and
have sufficient capacity.  Current SCSI 8mm tape drives should do the
job.  Does anyone know of A/D hardware/software that we could use,
preferably with an ISA PC?  The board would need to be able to handle
a direct SCSI connection to the 8mm storage device.

Thanks for any pointers.

-Larry    Granroth@IowaSP.physics.UIowa.edu    IOWASP::GRANROTH

danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) (01/10/91)

In article <59419@aurs01.UUCP> gingell@aurw90.UUCP (Mike Gingell) writes:
>Although not an internal DSP board for a PC there is a very interesting
>unit available from L L Grace. It looks and functions like an external
>modem to a PC but it contains a Motorola DSP56000 and a V40 coprocessor
>with 1 Meg of memory. It has programmable A/D and D/A with variable
>pre and post filters allowing sample rates up to 100 kHz. It also has
>three separate slelectable analog I/O channels and comes with algorithms
>built in for packet radio (300-9600 baud), CW (morse code), RTTY plus
>more to come in free upgrades (such as WEFAX, NAVTEX, AMTOR, SITOR,
>SSTV).  They have an "open programming architecture" which means the
>user can add their own code. Base price is $595.

Do you have an address and telephone number for this company?

TNX, Dan KB6NU

--
Dan Romanchik (danr@irie.ais.org, danr@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us, 313-930-6564)

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  -- Ancient Engineering Maxim