[comp.dsp] Digital Communication Systems Simulation

robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Robert Morelos-Zaragoza) (01/15/91)

I was wondering if someone could please post sources to obtain
digital communication systems simulation software.

Thank you,

Robert Morelos-Zaragoza		     |
Department of Electrical Engineering |
University of Hawaii		     |	robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu
2540 Dole Street #483		     |
Honolulu, HI  96822		     |

true@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Frederick True) (01/16/91)

In article <10964@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> robert@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Robert Morelos-Zaragoza) writes:
>I was wondering if someone could please post sources to obtain
>digital communication systems simulation software.

Sorry, this isn't a list of sources...but the query got me to thinking. Is
anyone aware of any block oriented (object oriented, if you prefer) simulation
systems available for the MS-DOS platform? In particular, I have worked with
simulators such as BOSS (Block Oriented Simulation System, contains large
library of communications stuff: modulators, coding schemes, multiplexers,
analog techniques, math, etc. Runs on VMS), SYSTID (Another similar program,
a bit older, developed by Hughes Aircraft if memory serves), and LabView
(from National Instruments, running on a Mac II). These are all very nicely
put together packages, and are helpful for small scale simulations, as well
as visualization, proving to your advisor that your project *is* going to
work, etc.

I would be very interested to hear about any such packages for the PC. I'm
not strictly talking about graphically oriented software (although BOSS and
LabView are), but the graphics usually add to the functionality. All of the
packages mentioned above also had the capability of writing your own
fundamental blocks (ie: not blocks built from blocks) in some sort of code
(for BOSS and SYSTID it was FORTRAN, for LabView I think it had to be some
sort of MS-DOS object code from any compiler).

Anyone using something like this?

Frederick True        	true@elbereth.rutgers.edu	ftrue@attmail.att.com
   "In peace sons bury their fathers, but in war fathers bury their sons."
							-Croesus