[comp.dsp] TI TMS320C30 C Optimizer ver. 4.00 problem?

tatge@csc.ti.com (Reid Tatge) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan11.160733.6227@javelin.es.com> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>	Does anyone know if TI reads this conference?
>	Does TI have an Internet address so I could send this to them?
>	Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Sorry all, I tried to respond directly to Bob, but can't seem to mail to
his given address, so quit reading now if you're not interested.

Bob,

> Does anyone know if TI reads this conference?

Yes, we do.  We just don't contribute on a regular basis.

> Does TI have an Internet address so I could send this to them?

Yes. (see return address)

> Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the report.  By the way, we do have a hotline
which operates during business hours (713-274-2320).  It is
staffed with engineers who are knowledgable about current compiler
bugs, and are responsible for logging and routing new bug reports
to us (the development group).  This is the best and most reliable
method of reporting bugs.   You could send me mail, but I may never
actually get around to handling it in a formal matter (read: it may
not ever get fixed).

Finally, about your bug.  It had to do with using the constant
0x80000000 in any additive expression. In your example,
(0x7FFFFFFF + 1) was constant folded to 0x80000000.  It shouldn't
have anything to do with the declaration of variables used in the
same expression (as you suggested in your message).
Fortunately, this shouldn't (doesn't) happen too often, but
still doesn't excuse a stupid bug.  At any rate, it will be
fixed in the next release (due out "soon").

-- Reid Tatge
   Texas Instruments

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (01/21/91)

tatge@csc.ti.com (Reid Tatge) writes:

>Sorry all, I tried to respond directly to Bob, but can't seem to mail to
>his given address, so quit reading now if you're not interested.

Thanks for the posting, Reid.  Sorry about having to post public
instead of e-mail, but that's the tools I have to work with.  There
are just too many "middlemen" in intra-company network between my
machine & outside connection, & I have minimal influence.

I thought the problem must be some isolated case...just wanted to
bring it to TI's attention if it was a bug, or learn the extent of my
own folly if the problem was mine.  I`m fairly new to this project & I
wasn't privy to agreements between us & TI regarding use of the
TMS320C30 products.

With all due respect to your support phone, it's pretty hard in
general to communicate (or `dictate') a listing over the phone but
pretty easy to include it in e-mail or a posting.  Thus my preference
for writing.  Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>