[fa.info-vax] VAX on it's older cousin

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (01/24/85)

From: Dr. Joseph M. Leonard <jmleonar@crdc>

Gene,

I see two big problems (of the top of my head):

     1) the limit of the 64KB address space
     2) the lack of VM hardware.

I see one BIG advantage, though - whoever pulls this off will NEVER lack
employment for as long as (s)he lives!

                                       I'm Gone,

                                            Joe Leonard

                                            jmleonar@crdc (arpa)

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Randy Buckland) (01/25/85)

> I see two big problems (of the top of my head):
>
>      1) the limit of the 64KB address space
>      2) the lack of VM hardware.
>
> I see one BIG advantage, though - whoever pulls this off will NEVER lack
> employment for as long as (s)he lives!

	There is always the ever popular and totally awful solution.
The machine simulator. Write a program that will simulate a vax cpu
with memory as disk space... Then just bring up standard vms. Easy, no?

					Randy Buckland
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb