[comp.dsp] C cross compiler's for TMS320XX chips

don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) (02/12/91)

We have used TI's TMS320C25 C compiler, and are not impressed with the
code it produces. Often hand assembled code is 8 time better, on average
3. In CISC environments I always heard a good C compiler would give
at most 50% overhead. What are reasonable numbers for RISC or DSP chips.

If anyone can suggest a better C cross compiler for the TMS320XX family
we would certainly like to hear about it.

Thanks, Don.

P.S.
	Developement host would be a PC or better yet a Sun.

bgeer@javelin.es.com (Bob Geer) (02/13/91)

don@dgbt.doc.ca (Donald McLachlan) writes:
>We have used TI's TMS320C25 C compiler, and are not impressed with the
>code it produces. Often hand assembled code is 8 time better, on average
>3. In CISC environments I always heard a good C compiler would give
>at most 50% overhead. What are reasonable numbers for RISC or DSP chips.

>If anyone can suggest a better C cross compiler for the TMS320XX family
>we would certainly like to hear about it.

Version 4.0 of TI's TMS320C30 C compiler has a much better optimizer
than vers. 3; it makes fuller use of registers & improves inner loop
code quite a bit.  Cursory measurements I've done show marked
improvement in our code but don't have publishable numbers yet.  I
don't know if TI has improved the _C25 compiler's optimizer as well,
but it would be worth a look-see.
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>               bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com              <>
<>      Alta-holic <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>