[comp.dsp] Wavelet theory

ndimas@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Nicholas Dimas) (11/28/90)

Hi, I'm trying to find out some info about wavelet theory
and how it's used in digital signal processing.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nicholas Dimas
e_mail: ndimas@pikes.denver.colorado.edu

alk@hpspdra.HP.COM (Al Kovalick) (11/29/90)

/ hpspdra:comp.dsp / ndimas@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Nicholas Dimas) /  3:14 pm  Nov 27, 1990 /
<Hi, I'm trying to find out some info about wavelet theory
<and how it's used in digital signal processing.  Any suggestions
<would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nicholas Dimas
e_mail: ndimas@pikes.denver.colorado.edu

Regarding compactly supported wavlets:

 Try contacting Aware,Inc of Cambridge Mass. (617-577-1700). These guys
specialize in wavelet transforms and applications. They will provide
several references about wavlet theory.  Especially good is the paper
"Relatinship between Fourier and Wavlet transforms" by Resnifoff &
Burrus. The theory is deep. Takes patience to see the light.

Al Kovalick  Hewlett-Packard  alk@hpspd.spd.hp.com

----------

craigb@bhpmrl.oz.au (Craig Blundell) (11/30/90)

In article <4561@pikes.Colorado.EDU>, ndimas@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Nicholas Dimas) writes:
> Hi, I'm trying to find out some info about wavelet theory
> and how it's used in digital signal processing.  Any suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.

Try

"The Wavelet Transform, Time-Frequency Localization and Signal Analysis," by
Ingrid Daubechies, IEEE Trans. on Information Theory, IT-36, 5, 1990, p961-1005.

Craig Blundell

Department of Earth Sciences
Monash University
Clayton, Vic. 3168
AUSTRALIA

Phone   :  +61-3-566-7450
FAX     :  +61-3-561-6709
ACSnet  :  craigb@merlin.bhpmrl.oz
Internet:  craigb%merlin.bhpmrl.oz@uunet.uu.net

--
Craig Blundell

Department of Earth Sciences
Monash University
Clayton, Vic. 3168
AUSTRALIA

Phone   :  +61-3-566-7450
FAX     :  +61-3-561-6709
ACSnet  :  craigb@merlin.bhpmrl.oz
Internet:  craigb%merlin.bhpmrl.oz@uunet.uu.net

gabe@uxui.uucp (Gabe Nault ) (02/28/91)

A while ago there was some brief discussion regarding wavelets,
I am wondering if anyone has implemented any real applications using
wavelets. If so, are there are pitfalls to avoid or suggestions you
might wish to make. I am aware of one application for VLP (ventricular
late potentials) detection. Any others?

Also is there any literature (I have Mallat and Dauchesies (sp)
papers) which might be useful for a clear understanding of wavelets.

Gabe