[comp.dsp] AES/EBU and IEC 958/Type 2 S/PDIF

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/19/91)

Aside from the Motorola product due out in the June/July time frame is
anyone else coming out with a chip that will convert data to/from the
format of the 56001 dsp chip either of the above formats?  I need to
convert to/from AES/EBU or the consumer format Type 2 S/PDIF.  I would
be nice if someone made a chip.

            Thanks, kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

ksh@vine.COM (Kent S. Harris) (03/21/91)

In article <053y02fM06tD01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:

>Aside from the Motorola product due out in the June/July time frame is
>anyone else coming out with a chip that will convert data to/from the
>format of the 56001 dsp chip either of the above formats?  I need to
>convert to/from AES/EBU or the consumer format Type 2 S/PDIF.  I would
>be nice if someone made a chip.

Presented at the 89th AES convention in Los Angles (Sept. 1990) was
"A Family of AES-EBU Interface Devices" by David J. Knapp from
Crystal Semiconductor Corp. of Austin, TX.

I would suggest you contact Crystal Semi. (phone number unknown).
The article implied that some devices were available and some were
on the drawing board.  I would appreciate hearing about anything learned.

-- Kent

--
Kent S. Harris		...!ames!vine!ksh        (ksh@vine.com)
Vine Technology		Unix/VMS/VxWorks/pSOS/LynxOS/etc.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/22/91)

In article <3598@vine.COM> ksh@vine.UUCP (Kent S. Harris) writes:
>Presented at the 89th AES convention in Los Angles (Sept. 1990) was
>"A Family of AES-EBU Interface Devices" by David J. Knapp from
>Crystal Semiconductor Corp. of Austin, TX.
>
>I would suggest you contact Crystal Semi. (phone number unknown).
>The article implied that some devices were available and some were
>on the drawing board.  I would appreciate hearing about anything learned.

I found out from Crystal Semi. that the AES/EBU transmitter is available
but the receiver will not be until June/July, which is the same as
Motorola.  I will be getting samples from both companies as soon as the
silicon is finished.   The receiver is what I really need since I want
to use a Pro-DAT recorder as an A/D front end to a NeXT computer.

p7nqyf9z@umiami.ir.miami.edu (03/25/91)

In article <053y02fM06tD01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>, kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) writes:
> Aside from the Motorola product due out in the June/July time frame is
> anyone else coming out with a chip that will convert data to/from the
> format of the 56001 dsp chip either of the above formats?  I need to
> convert to/from AES/EBU or the consumer format Type 2 S/PDIF.  I would
> be nice if someone made a chip.
>
>             Thanks, kent

	My senoir design project involves sigma-delta A/D conversion
of audio and then formating and transmission in AES/EBU format.

	I have obtained from Crystal Semiconductor an AES/EBU tranmitter
chip:  CS8402.  This Supports 7 different serial input formats including
Motorola DSPs.  It also can be set for either professional or consumer
formats and has line driver output.  The CS8401 does the same, but is
programmable.  They were very nice to deal with, too!

Crystal Semiconductor: 1-(800)-888-5016

	The data sheets also conatain a summary of the AES/EBU format.