[comp.dsp] DSP for Audio Marketing

cnbs30@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (04/06/91)

I am currently collating information on the use (or abuse!) of DSP for the
marketing of digital audio.  One look in recent Audio and Hifi
magazines will confirm that digital signal processing (DSP) jargon
is used for technical marketing purposes.  CDs and DATs are
described as having D/A converters, digital filters, 8 x's
oversampling, references to quantisation, sampling,
frequency responses and so on.  And the latest references to bitstream;
presumably the average buyer does not understand bitstream, but is
impressed by this latest description, which makes his system better?

How much of this is just marketing gimmicks?  4 x's versus 8 x's
oversampling, can we hear the difference?  Oversampling is described
in some Hifi magazines as simply inserting extra samples between
adjacent samples in order to increase the resolution?  I always
thought that oversampling was to avoid having to use expensive
analogue filters at the input (anti aliasing) and outputs??
Is DSP terminology being used to hype up

How can companies realise 20 bit outputs from D/As, when the data on a CD
is only 16 bits?  Just where is this extra information supposed
to be materialising from?

I recently saw a Sony advert in a tabloid newspaper, describing their
latest CD as a state of the art DSP system.   Does anyone have other
examples of this techno-marketing strategy of companies.

I am interested also in any information you may have received from
suppliers or hifi stores, which can be best described as technical
jargon marketing...... as in "Yes, this CD contains both a D/A converter
and optical laser bit reader, and it uses 16 bit data".
Dont all CDs?

Once I have compiled some interesting information, I will make a posting
to the news net.

Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Bob Stewart           |JANET:   cnbs30@uk.ac.strath.vaxa
EEE Dept.             |E-MAIL:  cnbs30%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Strathclyde University|BITNET:  cnbs30%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@UKACRL
Glasgow G1 1XW        |UUCP:    cnbs30%vaxa.strath.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Scotland.             |

mpurtell@IASTATE.EDU (Purtell Michael J) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr5.172259.11257@vaxa.strath.ac.uk>,
cnbs30@vaxa.strath.ac.uk writes:

> I am currently collating information on the use (or abuse!) of DSP for
the
> marketing of digital audio.  One look in recent Audio and Hifi
> magazines will confirm that digital signal processing (DSP) jargon
> is used for technical marketing purposes.  CDs and DATs are
> described as having D/A converters, digital filters, 8 x's
> oversampling, references to quantisation, sampling,
> frequency responses and so on.  And the latest references to
bitstream;
> presumably the average buyer does not understand bitstream, but is
> impressed by this latest description, which makes his system better?
>
> How much of this is just marketing gimmicks?  4 x's versus 8 x's
> oversampling, can we hear the difference?  Oversampling is described
> in some Hifi magazines as simply inserting extra samples between
> adjacent samples in order to increase the resolution?  I always
> thought that oversampling was to avoid having to use expensive
> analogue filters at the input (anti aliasing) and outputs??

Inserting interpolated samples increases the sampling frequency which
eases
the constraints for the lowpass filter at the output.  Sometimes the
circuit
that does the interpolation also increase the resolution (see below).

> Is DSP terminology being used to hype up
>
> How can companies realise 20 bit outputs from D/As, when the data on a
CD
> is only 16 bits?  Just where is this extra information supposed
> to be materialising from?

This is done by the interpolation circuit (usually a digital filter,
ones
I've read about are FIR filters).  Imagine you have two samples with the
values 1 and 2.  Now you want to insert 7 values inbetween these for the
8 times oversampling.  The values you'd probably use if you had
unlimited
resolution and were doing linear interpolation (for simplicity) would
be:

(real) (binary)
1.125  1.001
1.25   1.010
1.375  1.011
1.5    1.100
1.625  1.101
1.75   1.110
1.875  1.111

This is where the extra bits of resolution come from.

Whether or not you can hear the difference is a debate I won't enter.
:-)

=========

=========

--
-- Michael Purtell --  | "In a hundred years, | There's an Old Irish
Recipe for