[comp.dsp] Request for info for DSP/PC boards

buchholz@chinet.chi.il.us (Ronald L. Buchholz) (04/11/91)

Greetings--

I am interested in a DSP board for my 386SX machine with the following
features (more or less):

1) Motorola 56001 DSP chip  (a must)
2) The board must use either a short or long PC card-slot
3) A prototyping area
4) On board A/D-D/A converters with filters
5) Enough RAM and EEPROM to be usable

A blank (unpopulated board) would be fine as long as proper
documentation can be obtained to use it. My primary interest right now
is audio.

Can anyone out there recommend a manufacturer of such a device?

Much thanks in advance. If there is sufficient interest, I will gladly
summarize and post a list of responses.

--
afdvcz

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr10.171617.19360@chinet.chi.il.us>, buchholz@chinet.chi.il.us (Ronald L. Buchholz) writes:
> I am interested in a DSP board for my 386SX machine with the following
> features (more or less):
>
> 1) Motorola 56001 DSP chip  (a must)
> 2) The board must use either a short or long PC card-slot
> 3) A prototyping area
> 4) On board A/D-D/A converters with filters
> 5) Enough RAM and EEPROM to be usable

In both the April Radio-Electronics and Elektor Electronics, they had a
press release for the "DSPerato" board.  An IBM-XT adapter card layout
with a 56001.  About 2/3 of the card is prototype area.  A/D converters
are on a seperate plug in module/card.  $299 for the basic card,
$149 for the A/D card (two different flavors). $99 for the software pack.

Signal Systems
15105 SE East Ave.
Milwaukie, Oregon 97267

Anyone actually seen this board ?

Mark Zenier  markz@ssc.uucp  mzenier@polari.uucp

dmassie@well.sf.ca.us (Dana C. Massie) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr10.171617.19360@chinet.chi.il.us>, buchholz@chinet.chi.il.us (Ronald L. Buchholz) writes:
> I am interested in a DSP board for my 386SX machine with the following
> features (more or less):
>
> 1) Motorola 56001 DSP chip  (a must)
> 2) The board must use either a short or long PC card-slot
> 3) A prototyping area
> 4) On board A/D-D/A converters with filters
> 5) Enough RAM and EEPROM to be usable

Ariel Corporation has a bunch of DSP boards for IBM, Mac, Sun,
HP, VME using 56001, 320, 96000, i860, and ATT dsp32.

They have perhaps the best interactive debugger for the 56001
and my experiences with the company have all been excellent.
Contact Info:

Ariel Corporation
433 River Road
Highland Park, NJ 08904
tel: (201) 249-2900
fax: (201) 249-2123
dsp bbs: (201) 249-2124

dana c. massie
dmassie@well.sf.ca.us

mazer@asterix.asterix.cns.caltech.edu (Jamie Mazer) (04/21/91)

>Ariel Corporation has a bunch of DSP boards for IBM, Mac, Sun,
>HP, VME using 56001, 320, 96000, i860, and ATT dsp32.
>
>They have perhaps the best interactive debugger for the 56001
>and my experiences with the company have all been excellent.

Speaking of which ...

 Is anyone using the Ariel DSP-56 board on a 386/486 pc running
*UNIX* of any flavor? We're really interested in the ariel hardware
and would like to use a 486-pc platform - but it MUST run X and
Unix. The DSP-56 looks really nice, but the hardware seems to
be supported only under MSDOS, and I don't have time to hack
a device driver/library/debuggers etc to get the hardware running
under unix. Has anyone done this already?

 One possibility is to use a sparcstation instead of a 486 box as
the base platform, but we'd prefer to go with a pc, for a number
of other reasons.

 Ater there other 56K (or C30,96K,32C etc :-) boards with A/D and D/A
hardware comparable to the Ariel running under unix? I really like
what they have, I just don't have time to start my project over
again under a new operating system!

 Comments? Flames?

/Jamie

--
1st: mazer@asterix.cns.caltech.edu  /-------------------------------------\
2nd: mazer@bek-owl.cns.caltech.edu /"Caltech: ... science steals your soul,\

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (04/22/91)

In article <MAZER.91Apr20170821@asterix.asterix.cns.caltech.edu> mazer@asterix.asterix.cns.caltech.edu (Jamie Mazer) writes:

>   Are there other 56K (or C30,96K,32C etc :-) boards with A/D and D/A
>   hardware comparable to the Ariel running under unix? I really like
>   what they have, I just don't have time to start my project over
>   again under a new operating system!

Yes, there is a fantastic UNIX/DSP development on the NeXT.  Each NeXT has
a Motorola 56001 DSP, Bug-56 DSP symbolic debugger, macro cross-assembler, and
simulator.  Ariel makes the QuintProcessor which is a NeXTBus board with
FIVE 27Mhz 56001 DSPs if you need the extra horsepower!  Singular Solutions
makes a Analog/Digital interface for the DSP.  It features two channels of
16-bit delta-sigma conversion and 64 times oversampling.  As for PC support,
the NeXT has a program called SoftPC which allows you to run PC programs in a
window - it's very good too I've seen Windows 3.0 running on it in color.  A
company called Pencom makes Co-Xist which allows you to run X11R4 w/Motif in
another window.  Well, this may be more than what you are looking for but
then again...

Singular Solutions
(818) 792-9567

Ariel
(201) 249-2900

NeXT
(800) 848-NEXT

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / Improv

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/23/91)

In article <MAZER.91Apr20170821@asterix.asterix.cns.caltech.edu> mazer@asterix.asterix.cns.caltech.edu (Jamie Mazer) writes:

>>Ariel Corporation has a bunch of DSP boards for IBM, Mac, Sun,
>>HP, VME using 56001, 320, 96000, i860, and ATT dsp32.
>>
>>They have perhaps the best interactive debugger for the 56001
>>and my experiences with the company have all been excellent.
>
>Speaking of which ...
>
> One possibility is to use a sparcstation instead of a 486 box as
>the base platform, but we'd prefer to go with a pc, for a number
>of other reasons.
>
> Ater there other 56K (or C30,96K,32C etc :-) boards with A/D and D/A
>hardware comparable to the Ariel running under unix? I really like
>what they have, I just don't have time to start my project over
>again under a new operating system!
>
> Comments? Flames?

Well for the price of a i486, Unix, DSP board combination, which works out
to be $3000  for 486, $1000 for Unix, and $2500 for DSP board == $6500.
Those prices are approximate.  For less than $6500 you could buy a
NeXTstation.

People no flames, just listen.

The OS supports the DSP, it is integrated in the system.  You do need to
add A/D conversion but D/A is built in.  It comes with the Ariel Debugger
and all the tolls yopu need for development.

For an integrated DSP development system you can't beat it, esp. if you are
in education.  Since you are at Caltech, I assume you can get educational
pricing on a NeXT.  For a little more tha a DSP board would cost you the
NeXT is available.

I am biased because I'm doing my project for my MSEE on a NeXT and it is
A/D and DSP related.

Yes I did buy a NeXT and one of the main reasons was the direct support
for the DSP in the OS and hardware integration.

BTW - If you reason for the SPARC as a second choice si X11 then don't
count the NeXT out.  X11 is available for the NeXT it just isn't sold by

The NeXT is also a cheaper alternative than the SPARC.  It is also a
single neat little package.  You also don't have to worry if the DSP
hardware will function properly with the system, it's part of the system.

>/Jamie
>

>--
>1st: mazer@asterix.cns.caltech.edu  /-------------------------------------\
>2nd: mazer@bek-owl.cns.caltech.edu /"Caltech: ... science steals your soul,\
>3rd: JMazer@caltech.bitnet         \  don't come here unless you have to." /

Think about the NeXT it is a viable alternative and a good one.
                 KeNT

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */